Maj. (rtd) Kanuti Akorimo, was that man who hoisted the Uganda flag as the Union Jack (British flag) was lowered.
As Uganda's flag was hoisted for the first time on October 9, 1962, one young man stood still with a mixture of fear and pride. Proud, that he was the one performing this historic role, and fear because it was a huge task for him.
Maj. (rtd) Kanuti Akorimo, was that man who hoisted the Uganda flag as the Union Jack (British flag) was lowered, to mark the birth of the newly independent country — Uganda, on October 9, 1962.
• He was born in Omatenga village, Kumi district.
• He pursued a commercial course in Nairobi, before joining the army.
• Underwent training in England, where he was the only Ugandan
• Lowered the Union Jack and hoisted the Uganda flag on October 9, 1962
• He was 32 years old at the time, and a lieutenant
• Retired in 1967, at the rank of major
• Helped form Uganda's national army, under President Milton Obote
• Awarded Hero's Medal in 2003
• He died at Atutur Hospital, Kumi, on April 22, 2020.