Did you know many people confuse the two countries’ flags yet the order of colours is different, and many Ugandans hum the Germany national anthem unknowingly because of a Christian hymn by the same tune?
It is Germany Day and there are many big and small things that unite the two countries. Here are ten of them. You can add what has not been mentioned:
Did you know that:
1. Germany embassy opened in Kampala immediately Uganda got independence on October 9th, 1962, coming only behind the colonial master UK and the USA?
2. Germany never severed diplomatic relations with Uganda even at the time of Kampala's worst behavior in the 1970s?
3. In spite of the long friendly relations, Okoberfest beer and food festival was only started in Kampala in 2015?
4. Many people confuse the two countries' flags yet the order of colours is different, and many Ugandans hum the Germany national anthem unknowingly because of a Christian hymn by the same tune?
5. Before Uganda Airlines closed had flown to cities in Germany like Frankfurt for a year?
6. Trade with Germany is significant, standing at over 210 ten million Euros with Uganda exporting coffee and gold plus tea and fish while importing machinery and chemical products from Germany?
7. Ugandan's love for Germany soccer predates the present obsession with British soccer and that many Ugandan football coaches had training in Germany?
8. Before the 1975 OAU Kampala summit, President Idi Amin dispatched his presidential jet to Germany with Uganda Television Technicians to source and purchase equipment for colour broadcasting ahead of the big conference?
9. Many Ugandans have benefitted from German sponsorship for higher post-graduate studies and technical training?
10. The first time a Uganda won Olympic gold was in Germany, at the 1972 Munich Olympics when John Akii-Bua broke the world 400m hurdles record?