TOP
Sunday,September 27,2020 10:13 AM
  • Home
  • Archive
  • Katikkiro Dismisses Claims Of Support For Besigye

Katikkiro Dismisses Claims Of Support For Besigye

By Vision Reporter

Added 5th February 2001 03:00 AM

THE Katikkiro of Buganda, Joseph Ssemwogerere, has dismissed claims by some Mengo ministers that Buganda had decided to vote for presidential candidate Col. Kizza Besigye, reports Josephine Maseruka.

THE Katikkiro of Buganda, Joseph Ssemwogerere, has dismissed claims by some Mengo ministers that Buganda had decided to vote for presidential candidate Col. Kizza Besigye, reports Josephine Maseruka.

THE Katikkiro of Buganda, Joseph Ssemwogerere, has dismissed claims by some Mengo ministers that Buganda had decided to vote for presidential candidate Col. Kizza Besigye, reports Josephine Maseruka. Ssemwogerere said yesterday he had already made it clear that any Mengo minister or official who publicly campaigned for any presidential candidate was doing it in his or her individual capacity. He said ministers Kamala Kannamwangi for local government, Mrs. Joyce Ssebuggwawo for works and women affairs, and others like Mumiransanafu Muteesa, the Mawogola sazza chief, had taken leave from Mengo until after the elections. Ssemwogerere said such officials were likely to antagonise the kingdom with the central government if their involvement in politics was not clarified. Last month, Ssemwogerere issued a statement on Mengo's stand in the presidential elections, saying the kingdom would not support any candidate. Ssemwogerere said yesterday that all Mengo ministers publicly involved in campaigns are presumed to have taken leave. Kannamwangi was quoted in the press last week as telling rallies in Kiboga district that Buganda had decided to vote for candidate Besigye because his manifesto had what Buganda craved. A reliable source at Mengo, said only Mumiransanafu had officially asked for leave. Ends

Katikkiro Dismisses Claims Of Support For Besigye

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author