Tooro hold KCCA as URA, Maroons, BUL win

By Joseph Kizza

Added 6th March 2019 06:20 PM

KCCA extend their lead at the top to four points, URA beat Paidha Black Angels, Maroons see off Bright Stars while Police lose at BUL in Wednesday's games.

Kcca 703x422

KCCA's Mike Mutyaba in action against a Tooro United player on Wednesday. (Credit: KCCA)

KCCA extend their lead at the top to four points, URA beat Paidha Black Angels, Maroons see off Bright Stars while Police lose at BUL in Wednesday's games.


Tooro United   1-1    KCCA
BUL   2-1    Police
Maroons   1-0    Bright Stars
Paidha Black Angels   0-2    URA
Villa   1-2    Kirinya

By Joseph Kizza




 KCCA FC opened up a four-point gap at the top of the Uganda Premier League table with a 1-1 draw away at Tooro United FC on Wednesday, but this result also helped holders Vipers keep within reach of the 12-time champions following their stumble the previous day.

While Vipers squandered their own chance of going joint-top after falling 2-1 to Ndejje University on Tuesday, KCCA failed to capitalise on that. A win at Buhinga Stadium would have steered the Lugogo-based club six points clear at the summit as the race for the title curves into the home straight, with seven games remaining.

Character will be a key ingredient in the title run-in, and on the evidence of his side's showing in Fort Portal against a Tooro United side that has been hard to beat at home, Mutebi will have been delighted by how his lads picked themselves up after falling behind eight minutes into the second half.

After a firing of blanks in the opening period, the hosts found the breakthrough in the 53rd minute, Godfrey Lwesibawa applying the all-important finish.

But the advantage would only last seven minutes, as Mike Mutyaba put the visitors back on level terms on the hour mark. The equaliser came five minutes after teammate Allan Okello had seen his goal disallowed for offside. A routine strike by the youngster, but the flag had already been raised.

Both sides made in-roads for a second - and possibly the winning - goal. But with KCCA skipper Timothy Awany and Patrick Kaddu's headers from corners well saved by Joel Mutakubwa on one end, both sides had to settle for a point.

The question though is: Is that one point gained or two points dropped by KCCA?

Meanwhile, after three games without a win, BUL FC picked up maximum points in Jinja against Police FC (2-1) - who have now gone five games without having a sniff of victory - at Njeru Technical Centre. Jimmy Kulaba opening the scoring 15 minutes into the game, before James Otim improved the hosts' lead. Ronald Nyanzi halved the deficit five minutes after the interval, but a comeback would never come.

At Luzira, Maroons FC gave their relegation survival a fighting chance by narrowly beating Bright Stars 1-0, thanks to Pius Obuya's penalty midway into the second half.

URA FC, meanwhile, registered their third successive win with a comfortable 2-0 win over struggling Paidha Black Angels FC, who remain bottom of the table, at Bar Okoro Stadium. Saidi Kyeyune broke the deadlock after 13 minutes, before Cromwell Abang Rwothomio sealed victory against his former club towards the break.

[UPDATE]: The SC Villa v Kirinya-Jinja SSS FC game was the late fixture and played under floodlights at Mandela National Stadium, Namboole - a first of the campaign. The visitors were the eventual winners in a 2-1 result against the Jogoo. David Bagoole struck after two minutes and the ever-potent Joel Madondo made it two for Kirinya in the 20th minute. Bashir Mutanda pulled one back for Villa on the hour mark, but the hosts could not recover.

A recent run of poor results means that the Jogoo remain dangerously on the edge of the drop zone in 13th place while Kirinya, in sharp contrast, are into the top half of the table, thanks to three wins in the last three games (whose scorelines have also been identical: 2-1).


More From The Author

Related articles