Geoffrey Kasibante died instantly when he tried to pick a plate of food he had placed on a transformer during a lunch hour drizzle
Kasibante's body being carried onto a Police patrol truck. (Credit: Eddie Ssejjoba)
ELECTRICITY | DEATH
KAMPALA - Business came to a standstill during lunch hour in Kampala city central district when a man was electrocuted.
Geoffrey Kasibante, a casual labourer, died instantly when he tried to pick a plate of food he had placed on a transformer during a lunch hour drizzle.
The incident occurred at 2:00pm on William Street near a construction site.
One of his colleagues, Hamis Bogere, said they normally gather around the transformer and wait for clients from this spot.
He said Kasibante had ordered for food, when he was abruptly called for a job and placed the plate on top of the transformer.
According to Bogere, the deceased came back during the drizzle and stretched his hand to pick the plate, only to be electrocuted.
“We had a big bang and he fell metres away,” he said.
Bogere said they first hesitated to get near him but after learning that power had gone off, they tried to give him milk, but later realised he had died.
Police officers from a nearby police booth called the police’s 999, which arrived moments later.
Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesman, Luke Owoyesigire said the Police removed the body and took it to Mulago Hospital for a postmortem examination.
Ivan Nduhura, a Police officer from the Central Police Station, warned people working from around the area to avoid getting near such electric polls.
However, people working within the area blamed Umeme for failure to raise the transformer, which they said had been a threat to their lives.