The lawyers said the accused are stuck in a court which has no jurisdiction to try them
PIC: Suspects appearing at Nakawa Court on Tuesday. (Credit: Meddie Musisi)
COURT | KAWEESI
KAMPALA - Lawyers representing 14 people still under probe over the murder of former Police spokesperson Andrew Felix Kaweesi have asked court to dismiss it for lack of evidence.
The lawyers, led by Anthony Wameli, submitted that the accused are stuck in a court which has no jurisdiction to try them.
“Since March 2017 when Kaweesi was murdered, no evidence has been brought against the accused. We pray that the case be dismissed since the state is at liberty to reinstate it when it gets evidence,” Wameli said.
However, the Nakawa Court Grade One Magistrate, Noah Sajjabbi, reserved his ruling until April 17.
The accused are Ahmed Shaban Ssenfuka, Umar Maganda, Sheikh Musa Ntende, Hassan Tumusiime, Ibrahim Kissa, Hamid Magambo and Abdul-Majid Ojerere. Others are Sauda Ayub, Osman Muhammed Omar, Asuman Mugoya, Ibrahim Ssemwanga alias superman and Swaleh Ddamulira.
Kaweesi was murdered on March 17 last year, together with his body guard Kenneth Erau and driver Godfrey Mambewa by unknown assailants in Kulambiiro, Kampala.
Prosecution alleges that the group between January and March 2017 were involved in complicity of Kaweesi’s murder.