________________
Local Government Minister Balaam Barugahara has taken his anti-corruption campaign code-named “Expose the Corrupt” to Bunyangabu district.
On Thursday (August 20), he visited some government schools, health centres, markets and projects before holding a rally at Kibiito Playground in Kibiito town council, where residents presented several complaints against district officials.
Balaam Barugahara the minister of Local Government addressing residents of Bunyangabu district during the Expose The Corrupt rally at Kibiito play ground in Bunyangabo district on August 20, 2026. 
The minister began his visit with an unannounced inspection of Buheesi Secondary School in Buheesi town council, where he investigated allegations that students were being subjected to excessive charges.
He arrived at about 1:00pm, prompting the school to hold an emergency assembly. Students told him that each of them pays sh170,000 per term, sh70,000 for lunch and sh100,000 to support the salaries of teachers who are not on government payroll.
The school, which began as a community institution before being handed over to the Government in 2003, has an enrolment of 615 students.
Some students also said they were required to pay examination registration fees. However, when Barugahara asked whether learners who had not cleared school fees were denied examinations, they denied the allegation.
The headteacher, Anelyn Turyahebwa, said 29 members of staff were not on the payroll and that parents had agreed to contribute sh100,000 per student to pay their salaries.
However, Barugahara questioned the amount, saying rural families could not afford such high charges. He suggested that the school should collect about sh70,000 for feeding and approximately sh30,000 towards teachers' salaries.
He noted that the Government provides the school with about sh33m each term and pays 18 teachers.
Barugahara directed investigations into the allegations involving the headteacher and the school management committee chairman, Simon Nabaasa. He said the State House Anti-Corruption Unit and the Criminal Investigations Directorate should establish whether any offences had been committed.
Simon Nabaasa (second from L), the Buheesi Secondary School managing committee chairperson and Annaline Turyahebwa (third from L), the school headteachers being escorted by the officers of the Anti-Corruption Unity to answer to allegations of extorting students through excessive fees. 
In Nyakigumba town council, he said sh25m had been appropriated for construction of a new public toilet at the market, but officials allegedly used the money to renovate an existing facility.
He also raised questions over a small structure whose face-board painting, he said, cost sh16m.
Residents further alleged that solar lights were procured at about sh7m each, despite an approved cost of sh3m. The minister said the lights were not functioning and ordered investigations.
Barugahara also alleged that land in Rwimi Town Council belonging to Rwimi Health Centre III had been irregularly allocated and sold to private developers. He directed the relevant authorities to investigate the alleged transactions and cancel any irregular titles.
In Kibiito, he called for investigations into alleged poor road works and the sale of market land without proper authorisation.