________________
Several Kisoro District officials have been arrested over allegations that link them to soliciting and receiving millions of shillings from job seekers in exchange for government employment.
The suspects include Kisoro District Service Commission chairperson Erastus Nshaka, commission member Abel Richard Turamuhawe, alias Nshurubwiko, Kisoro District Speaker Amos Hakizimana and District councillor for Nyarusiza sub-county John Muftimukiza.
Also nabbed is Aliphonsi Muhanika, a businessman who allegedly acted as an intermediary in some of the deals.

Kisoro District Speaker Amos Hakizimana, John Muftimukiza and Joseline Nyirambabazi at Kisoro Police Station. (Photo by Nelson Ahimbisibwe)
The suspects, briefly held at Kisoro Police Station, were on Friday, August 21, 2026, handed over to investigators from the State House Anti-Corruption Unit (SHACU).
Mariam Natasha, spokesperson for the SHACU, said the suspects are expected to appear before the Anti-Corruption Court on Monday, August 24, 2026, to answer charges which include corruption, abuse of office and obtaining money by false pretences.
Alleged sh8m payment
Police investigators accuse Nshaka of receiving sh8 million from businessman Charles Mbarusha in 2023 after allegedly demanding sh15 million to help secure a clinical officer position for Mbarusha's sister, Jolly Mutuzo.
According to the probe team, Mutuzo attended and passed the recruitment interview but was not appointed. The money allegedly remained unpaid despite repeated demands for a refund.
Investigators further allege that after Mbarusha lodged a complaint and Nshaka was arrested, the secretary of the District Service Commission, Francesca Mugisha, approached him with an offer to refund sh10 million. The proposed payment allegedly comprised the sh8 million said to have been paid and an additional sh2 million, on condition that Mbarusha withdraw the complaint and acknowledge that the matter had been settled.
Nshaka is also accused of demanding 100 bags of cement from enrolled nurse Ivan Nirere as an inducement to secure him a government job, allegedly through businessman Muhanika.
Investigators allege that Nirere delivered the first 50 bags of cement on March 10, 2024, to Nshaka's construction site in Kanyabukungu Village, Nyakabande sub-county. The remaining 50 bags were reportedly expected after Nirere secured the job. However, Nirere, who reportedly missed the job, is said to have demanded that the cement be returned, but investigators say his requests were ignored.
Sh10m Assistant Town Clerk deal
Nshaka and Turamuhawe are also accused of soliciting and receiving sh10 million from Brian Turikumwe in February 2026 to influence his appointment as an Assistant Town Clerk.
The investigators' report alleges that Turamuhawe introduced Turikumwe to Nshaka and directed him to deliver the money to the latter's residence in Kanyabukungu Village.

The investigators further allege that Turikumwe was assured that he would be appointed after paying the money. Although he was later shortlisted and interviewed, he did not secure the position. His subsequent demands for a refund were allegedly unsuccessful.
District speaker accused
Hakizimana is accused of soliciting and receiving approximately sh11.5 million from several job applicants between October and December 2025.
Investigators allege that he promised to influence their recruitment through the Kisoro District Service Commission.
The case file reportedly contains statements from applicants who allegedly paid Hakizimana, WhatsApp communications linking him to Nshaka and statements in which Hakizimana allegedly admitted receiving and using some of the money.
Some of the applicants were eventually appointed, while others were unsuccessful.
Investigators say Hakizimana later refunded sh8 million, which was recovered and exhibited as evidence.
Councillor linked to alleged midwifery job deal
Muftimukiza is accused of receiving sh8 million from Nelson Bazamanzo after allegedly promising to secure a government midwifery position for Bazamanzo's sister, Pamela Nyirabatega.
Police allege that after receiving the money, Muftimukiza failed to secure the appointment and subsequently began avoiding Bazamanzo and Nyirabatega.
The allegations form part of a wider investigation into claims that applicants were being asked to pay large sums of money to obtain positions within Kisoro District Local Government.
More suspects on the run
Natasha said other individuals linked to the alleged recruitment bribery network remain at large.
According to Natasha, investigations into telephone conversations link some of the suspects to demands for money from job seekers.
So far, six complainants have reportedly surrendered their smartphones to investigators to help establish communications and other evidence.
Natasha said preliminary investigations indicate that the suspects could have extorted as much as sh200 million from job applicants.
The ongoing investigations are expected to determine the extent of the alleged recruitment fraud, identify all individuals involved and establish whether public officials abused their positions to solicit money from job seekers.
Allegations challenged
Rodgers Nabaasa, the lawyer representing the accused, challenged the allegations, saying there was no evidence at this stage to establish that his clients had cases to answer because they had not yet been formally charged before court.
Nabaasa also called for the prosecution of the complainants, arguing that offering money to influence a public official is itself a criminal offence.
The suspects are expected to be formally presented before the Anti-Corruption Court, where the prosecution will have an opportunity to outline the charges against them.