LIRA - The High Court in Lira has ordered two ballistic experts to testify in the murder trial of a UPDF soldier accused of shooting dead his friend in Apac district, bringing disputed firearm evidence into sharp focus.
Lady Justice Margaret Apiny, the senior resident judge of the Lira High Court Circuit, directed that the experts be summoned after the prosecution closed its case without calling a ballistic examiner to explain findings contained in a firearms examination report.
RA/255575 Private Jacob Amali, 27, is facing a murder charge over the death of his friend, Haggai Okullo, 26, who was allegedly shot at a bar in the Kidilani area of Apac district on January 8, 2025.
Amali is represented by Alex Adupa on private brief, while the State is represented by Esther Zawedde.
The case came up for further hearing on August 18, 2026, as the defence cross-examined the fourth prosecution witness, Gloria Lamunu.
During the proceedings, Adupa informed the court that the defence had filed a miscellaneous application seeking to have a ballistic forensic examiner summoned to explain the findings contained in the ballistic examination report.
Justice Apiny questioned the procedure followed by the defence, stressing the need for criminal proceedings to adhere to proper procedure and be handled expeditiously.
The judge also reminded the parties that an accused person is presumed innocent until proven guilty, while emphasising the court's duty to ensure that proceedings are conducted properly.
Adupa subsequently asked the court to summon Emmanuel Tumwebaze, a ballistic forensic examiner, to testify as a prosecution witness and explain the contents and findings of the ballistic examination report.
The defence also sought the involvement of Detective Sergeant Geoffrey Labson Onen, a Police Flying Squad officer.
However, Justice Apiny declined to compel the prosecution to call Onen, noting that although he had been listed as a prosecution witness, the State had chosen not to call him.
The judge said the court has the power to summon a witness where it considers that the person's evidence could assist in the proper adjudication of a case.
Prosecution drops key evidence
Earlier, the prosecution informed the court that it no longer wished to rely on Amali's charge-and-caution statement and withdrew its earlier prayer to tender it as a prosecution exhibit.
The State also asked the court to expunge the evidence of PW5, retired Detective AIP Abel Okila Levy, from the record.
The prosecution said PW4, Gloria Lamunu, would remain its last witness and indicated that it did not wish to make a submission on whether a prima facie case had been established.
It further informed the court that it did not intend to call a ballistic expert.
Justice Apiny, however, exercised the court's powers to summon the experts, saying their evidence could assist in determining the case.
The judge also warned against the concealment of evidence relevant to the administration of justice.
In her formal order, Justice Apiny directed that Regazy Mameng, an examiner/analyst, and Eric Nasawali, a principal analyst and reviewer, both attached to the Directorate of Forensic Services, Ballistics and Toolmarks, be summoned to testify.
The experts are expected to explain Prosecution Exhibit No. 3, a ballistic analysis report relating to Party Police Station CRB 01/2025, which was agreed upon by the parties on August 11, 2026.
The court further ordered that the evidence of PW5, retired Detective AIP Abel Okila Levy, be expunged from the record.
The case was adjourned to September 3, 2026, at 10:00 am, when the ballistic experts are expected to appear.
Disputed firearm at centre of case
The decision to summon the experts is significant because the firearm evidence surrounding Okullo's killing has remained contested since the incident.
Amali's trial stems from the shooting of Okullo at Acan Pe Nino Bar in the Kidilani area of Apac district on January 8, 2025.
According to police accounts issued at the time, Amali and Okullo had been drinking with friends when a disagreement allegedly arose over Winnie Auma, a woman they were reportedly both interested in.
Police alleged that the disagreement escalated into a fight, after which Amali left the scene and returned at about 4:00 am, allegedly armed with a gun. He was subsequently accused of shooting Okullo.
At the time, Amali was attached to the 103 Infantry Battalion at Lacekocot Detachment in Pader district.
In a statement issued after the incident, Capt. Edrin Mawanda, then the UPDF 5th Division public information officer, said Amali had sought permission from his commander to go to town to access mobile money services and had left his firearm behind.
The army said the weapon allegedly used in the shooting was not an army-issued firearm and that investigations were underway to establish how the gun came into the suspect's possession.
Seven cartridges recovered
Police scene investigators reportedly recovered seven spent cartridges from the scene.
Amali was later arrested at the residence of his father, Francis Omuge, in the Kworo area.
Subsequent investigations reportedly led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle with an empty magazine, which was allegedly hidden in a swamp about half a kilometre from the crime scene.
A rusty submachine gun and a stick grenade were also reportedly recovered at the residence of Amali's father.
Police arrested several people in connection with the investigations, including Ibende, Olila and Denis Oyom, alias Ebende, who were detained at Apac Central Police Station.
Although police were reportedly unable to establish that the firearm recovered during the investigations was the weapon used in the killing, soldiers from the UPDF's 5th Division headquarters in Acholpii later reportedly intervened and pressured Amali's brother to surrender a firearm.
The firearm surrendered was subsequently said to be different from the weapon believed to have been used in Okullo's killing.
It is against this background that the ballistic evidence now assumes particular importance in the High Court proceedings.
UPDF promised joint investigation
Following the shooting, the UPDF said it was working with the Uganda Police Force to establish what happened.
Capt. Mawanda said preliminary investigations indicated that Amali had been at the bar with civilians when a disagreement arose between him and the deceased, reportedly over a woman.
The UPDF said it was committed to establishing the circumstances surrounding Okullo's death and ensuring that anyone found responsible faced the law.
The incident attracted particular concern because police had described it as the second shooting murder recorded in Apac district within a week.
On New Year's Day 2025, Police Constable Richard Pius Ikokole, who was then in charge of Kungu Police Post, allegedly shot one person dead and injured two others. He reportedly went on the run after the incident.
Amali had also reportedly been released from Kinene Prison in Pader district in September 2024, where he had been held over allegations of assaulting his commander.