________________
Authorities in Kanungu District have closed the Ishasha and Kyeshero border posts along the Uganda–Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) frontier following the outbreak of the Ebola Bundibugyo strain in eastern DRC amid growing fears of cross-border transmission.
The closures were announced by the Kanungu District Ebola Task Force after Uganda confirmed two imported Ebola cases in Kampala on May 15 and May 16 involving Congolese nationals, who entered the country seeking treatment.
The Kanungu Resident District Commissioner and head of the district Ebola taskforce, Ambrose Amanyire Mwesigye, said security and health authorities had moved swiftly to restrict movement through porous crossing points to prevent the deadly virus from entering local communities.
“We have closed the border points following the Ebola outbreak in the DRC. There was a Congolese national, who penetrated Uganda through these routes and was reportedly a victim of Ebola. This has raised serious concerns, and we cannot take chances,” Mwesigye said.
He said surveillance and screening operations had been intensified across border communities, with rapid response teams deployed to monitor movement and strengthen public awareness on Ebola prevention measures.
Village Health Teams, local leaders and security agencies have also been instructed to remain on high alert and immediately report any suspected Ebola symptoms.
“We are appealing to the public to remain calm but vigilant. Anyone presenting symptoms such as fever, vomiting, bleeding, or unexplained weakness should immediately report to the nearest health facility,” he added.
Mwesigye said Kanungu remains one of Uganda’s most vulnerable districts because of its porous border with eastern DRC and the constant movement of traders, families and travellers between the two countries.
Leaders urge public vigilance
The call for heightened caution was echoed by Kinkizi East Member of Parliament and ICT Minister Chris Baryomunsi during the swearing-in ceremony of newly elected Kanungu District chairperson Byamukama Francis Kapesha and district speaker Frank Byaruhanga.
Baryomunsi urged residents to strictly observe Ministry of Health guidelines aimed at preventing Ebola transmission.
“Communities must remain alert at all gatherings and public places. Washing hands regularly and observing the health guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health are critical in preventing an outbreak,” Baryomunsi said.
He encouraged residents to avoid unnecessary physical contact, maintain regular handwashing and immediately report suspected Ebola cases to health authorities. Authorities are also considering whether to temporarily halt movement at the Busanza-Kitagoma and Bunagana border posts as part of broader containment measures.
Residents in border sub-counties have expressed growing anxiety over the outbreak, with many calling for tighter enforcement and increased public sensitisation campaigns.
WHO raises alarm over outbreak
The Ebola outbreak has continued drawing global attention following warnings from the World Health Organisation (WHO) over the scale and speed of the epidemic.
Speaking at the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneva, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the outbreak posed a serious regional threat because of extensive cross-border movement in eastern Africa.
According to the WHO, at least 30 Ebola cases have been confirmed in eastern DRC alone, while Uganda has confirmed two imported cases in Kampala, including one death.
However, the WHO warned that the actual scale of the outbreak could be significantly larger, with more than 513 suspected cases and 131 suspected deaths reported in DRC as of May 19.
The outbreak, linked to the rare Ebola Bundibugyo strain, has prompted intensified surveillance, border screening and emergency response measures across Uganda as authorities race to prevent local transmission.