Police assures public of safety ahead of Kyagulanyi visit to EC

Kyagulanyi Tuesday suspended his campaigns following nasty incidents in Kayunga and at the Nile Bridge in Jinja.

POLITICS   2021 ELECTIONS

KAMPALA - The Police in Kampala have assured the public that the city will be secured and encouraged people to continue with their routine activities.

The assurance comes ahead of the National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential candidate, Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu alias Bobi Wine's visit to the Electoral Commission (EC).

Kyagulanyi Tuesday suspended his campaigns following nasty incidents in Kayunga and at the Nile Bridge in Jinja.

Kyagulanyi complained of excessive police brutality after he was blocked on his way to Kayunga district and during the brawl that ensued several people were injured, including Wilfred Kato, a police officer attached to him and Dan Magic, a member of his crew. 

Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson, Patrick Onyango said the police had deployed for what he termed as general security to keep law and order and to see that people go on with their normal businesses, plus the smooth flow of traffic.

He said the NUP candidate was free to go to the EC but had put conditions, which include observance of the traffic and road traffic guidelines.

He said the police would not allow processions and they did not expect him to move with a procession.

"He can come with one or two vehicles," he said, adding that elsewhere people were free to move freely and there would not be any restrictions.

The EC spokesperson, Paul Bukenya earlier on said Kyagulanyi had requested to meet the Returning Officer and the chairperson of EC today to make his presentation on issues concerning the conduct of campaigns for presidential elections.

"This request has been granted by the Returning officer and the EC chairperson and is expected at 11:00am and will be accompanied by a team of five persons," he said, adding that the principals will address the press thereafter.