Women Human Rights Defenders in Uganda have set up a toll-free line to respond to violence that is on the rise against women and girls, linked to the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown.
It follows a police report that there has been a surge in domestic violence as confinement at home has increased tension among families.
The Police have so far recorded at least 328 cases of domestic violence during the lockdown, according to deputy spokesperson Polly Namaye.
Uganda Network on Law Ethics and HIV/AIDS (UGANET) disseminated a toll-free helpline (0800333123) for girls and women experiencing violence.
World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus decried reports of an increase of domestic violence in countries across the world due to the COVID-19 lockdown and said there is no excuse for violence.
According to WHO, domestic violence is known to affect women's sexual and reproductive health and may contribute to the increased risk of sexually transmitted infections including HIV according to its 2005 landmark study on domestic violence undertaken in 10 countries.
The Executive Director, Women Human Rights Defenders Network - Uganda (WHRDN-U) Brenda Kugonza says government and local leaders should offer an enabling work environment, where they can protect women and girls faced with violence during the lockdown.
Women Human Rights Defenders in Uganda also denounced violence perpetrated against the women vendors at the beginning of the lockdown and demanded accountability for the brutality by Ugandan law enforcement agents.
Uganda on March 18, 2020, suspended public gatherings in a bid to contain COVID-19, on March 25, public transport was suspended, and on March 30 a nationwide curfew was introduced. A 21 days lockdown that was to end on May 5, 2020, has been extended for another two weeks.