TOP
Tuesday,July 07,2020 06:07 AM
  • Home
  • News
  • Bududa Landslides: Search for bodies called off

Bududa Landslides: Search for bodies called off

By Joseph Wanzusi

Added 28th December 2019 11:27 AM

A resolution was made to declare the disaster spot a mass grave and plans are now underway to hold inter-denomination prayers for all the deceased persons.

Bududa Landslides: Search for bodies called off

Residents of Bushika sub-county in Bududa district, look on as a Uganda National Roads Authority excavator searches for bodies in Naposhi village before the search was called off. Photo by Joseph Wanzusi

A resolution was made to declare the disaster spot a mass grave and plans are now underway to hold inter-denomination prayers for all the deceased persons.

Bududa district local government authorities have called off the search for more bodies of people who perished after a massive landslide struck several villages Bushika and Bunabutiti sub-counties on the afternoon of December 3.

At the time of calling off the efforts to recover bodies, a total of 26 bodies had been retrieved from the mudslides with the help of an excavator provided by the Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA) which has since been withdrawn from the scene.

Speaking to New Vision, the district chairman Wilson Watira said the district council after consultation with the central government sat and resolved to declare the disaster spot a mass grave adding that plans are now underway to hold inter-denomination prayers for all the deceased persons.

Watira said the time has come to focus on counselling the survivors by preparing them to start a new life and soliciting support from the government and other relief organisations.

"It is believed that about 21 bodies are still buried in the mud covered about 38 households in Naposhi, Shikhururwe and Namasa villages in Bushika and Bunabutiti sub-counties," he said.

The district has discouraged the idea of opening camps for the survivors but instead advised them (survivors) to stay with relatives and friends in neighbouring safe villages as the government looks for a solution that may include relocation and providing financial support to individual families to acquire land elsewhere for resettlement.

The district speaker, Geoffrey Natubu, expressed appreciation to Office of the Prime minister (OPM), the Uganda Red Cross Society, World Vision and Plan International for relief items that included food to the affected families.

Natubu observed that the road network in the affected areas had made travel a nightmare as several bridges connecting sub-counties were washed away by floods after River Manafwa burst its banks following torrential rains that pounded the hilly district on the slopes of Mt. Elgon.

Meanwhile, authorities in Sironko district have received relief items for the displaced people in Zesui sub-county who are now living in camps after floods from River Sironko washed away their houses leaving several people dead.

The relief items included more 600 bags of rice from OPM and blankets, jelly cans, tarpaulins, plastic cups, cartons of soap, basins and treated mosquito nets.

According to Robert Nambadi the Sironko district disaster committee coordinator, 77 households are at Bugimagu camp, 50 are staying in Bumumulo camp while 60 households are camped in Nazalazala.

Nambadi explained that apart from giving relief food to those staying in camps, other affected residents in the sub-counties of Bumasifwa, Busulani, Buyobo and Budadiri Town Council will be considered for relief food after their food crop gardens were washed away by floods.

"The district is in contact with the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Uganda which has promised to provide some tents to the displaced families," Nambadi added.

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author