TOP
Tuesday,June 02,2020 17:42 PM
  • Home
  • News
  • Museveni orders army out of Makerere University

Museveni orders army out of Makerere University

By Nelson Naturinda

Added 29th October 2019 01:35 PM

Meanwhile, the first lady and Minister of Education and Sports, Mrs Janet Museveni has pointed a finger at politicians who are misleading students into strikes.

Museveni orders army out of Makerere University

Meanwhile, the first lady and Minister of Education and Sports, Mrs Janet Museveni has pointed a finger at politicians who are misleading students into strikes.

President Yoweri Museveni has ordered the army out of Makerere University.

This follows an outcry from students, Makerere community, parents and the general public that the security deployed at the university had meted violence against the students. 

There have been complaints from students and student leaders that the military police stormed university hostels and halls of residence, beating up students, following a strike last week. 

On Wednesday last week, students went on strike protesting a 15% increase in tuition. The University has since insisted that they will not back down on the increase. 

Meanwhile, the first lady and Minister of Education and Sports, Mrs Janet Museveni has pointed a finger at politicians who are misleading students into strikes. 

The president has urged stakeholders at the university to talk and resolve all issues around fees. He has spoken to the council chairperson and guild president today, urging them to meet, maintaining that the police should keep order at the university. 

Makerere University ruled out removing the 15% tuition fees increment, saying it was agreed on by the students' leadership.

According to the acting Vice-Chancellor, the university has not in any way increased fees on its students, noting that the purported 15% fee increment is a five-year fee policy that was approved by the university council on the recommendation of the student guild cabinet.

 
Flashback
 

Following the strike, the Police deployed heavily at the university and also at students' halls of residences.

"The 15% was agreed upon by the university and the government and this was to last for five years. We have so far moved two years and this only added to the new students for a whole year," the university's communications manager Dr Muhammad Kiggundu said.

"As the university council, we wanted the money to be more than this but the government refused and told us to lower it so that all students can be catered for in all the different schools," he added.

"We do not want to compromise our standards as we are preparing for the coming 100-year celebrations," Kiggundu said.

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author