Dr. Rose Nassali Lukwago and two others have been arrested and charged with causing financial loss and abusing the office.
KAMPALA - The Inspectorate of Government says it has arrested the secretary of the Judicial Service Commission, Dr. Rose Nassali Lukwago, and others over allegations of abuse of office.
Dr. Opio Okiror, the former commissioner of health services and Cuthbert Kagabo, the deputy director of AH Consulting Ltd, were also arrested, the IGG tweeted Thursday.
They have been charged, allegedly for causing financial loss and abusing the office.
Lukwago is the former permanent secretary of the education ministry of education and prior to her arrest, she had handed over office.
The Judicial Service Commission is mandated to recruit judicial officers and regulate their conduct.
IG arrests Dr. Rose Nassali Lukwago, Secretary Judicial Service Commission, Dr. Opio Okiror, former Commissioner Health Services & Mr. Cuthbert Kagabo, Deputy Director AH Consulting Ltd. Charges include Causing Financial Loss & Abuse of Office. @UgandaMediaCent @GCICUganda— IGG (@IGGUganda) August 8, 2019
The arrests have come around a time when the Chief Justice Bart Katureebe has set up a six-member taskforce to investigate allegations of corruption in the Judiciary.
The team is headed by the Inspector of Courts, Immaculate Busingye.
The five other members of the committee are:
1. Vincent Emmy Mugabo, the registrar/public relations officer
2. Susan Abinyo, the registrar magistrates affairs and data management
3. Godfrey Kawesa, the president of Uganda Judicial Officers Association (UJOA), which is the umbrella professional body that brings together justices, judges, registrars and magistrates
4. Ayebare Tumwebaze, the assistant registrar in the Office of the Chief Registrar/Projects
5. Solomon Muyita, the senior communications officer
ALSO RELATED TO THIS STORY
Taskforce to probe corruption in Judiciary unveiled