TOP
Friday,June 05,2020 11:53 AM

Bishop Luwalira attacker put on defence

By Barbra Kabahumuza

Added 29th March 2019 06:17 PM

Rubaga grade one Magistrate’s Court Joel Wegoye ordered Solomon Kaddu to defend himself after ruling that he has a case to answer’ on Wednesday.

Bishop Luwalira attacker put on defence

Solomon Kaddu. Photo/File

Rubaga grade one Magistrate’s Court Joel Wegoye ordered Solomon Kaddu to defend himself after ruling that he has a case to answer’ on Wednesday.

KAMPALA- Rubaga grade one Magistrate's court has ordered a man who attempted to attack Bishop Wilberforce Kityo Luwalira during an Easter service to defend himself.

Rubaga grade one Magistrate's Court Joel Wegoye ordered Solomon Kaddu to defend himself after ruling that he has a case to answer' on Wednesday.

He said prosecution had adduced evidence that deserves an explanation from the accused.

State Attorney Immaculate Nambaju informed the court that they have closed their defence and presented five witnesses who pinned the accused person.

Last month, Court summoned the Bishop to appear in court and testify against Kaddu but he did not appear, which prompted prosecution to close its case.

Kaddu told the court that he will give sworn evidence and bring two witnesses to defend him.

The magistrate adjourned the case to April 12, 2019, and ordered Kaddu to come prepared to defend himself and all his witnesses.

Kaddu, a Tour and Travel driver and a resident of Mengo, in Kampala was charged with three counts including threatening violence in which prosecution says he had the intention to annoy or injure Bishop Luwalira and Rev. Benon Kityo, the dean of Namirembe diocese.

The charging and subsequent remand of 34-year-old Kaddu followed a police medical report that indicated that he was mentally stable and fit to stand trial contrary to his relatives' assertions that he had a mental problem.

Kaddu also faces another charge of disturbing religious assemblies. He was charged under section 81 (a) and 119 of the Penal Code Act (PCA).

The maximum penalty for the offence of threatening violence is two years imprisonment while disturbing religious assemblies is one year.

Last year, the magistrate read out the charges to the accused and he denied it, prompting his remand to Luzira Prisons.

"Have you heard and understood the charges read out to you. Do you agree or not," the magistrate asked? And the accused said no.

The prosecution alleges that on April 1, 2018 during an Easter service at Namirembe Cathedral, Kaddu while armed with a stick and sackcloth, threatened to attack the Bishop amidst the congregation. 

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author