A series of anonymous phone calls with claims that explosive devices were planted in various buildings started in Russia in mid-September 2017.
A view of Moscow City international business center (file photo by Sputnik)
RUSSIA - The spokesperson of the Russian Interior Ministry's Moscow head office told Sputnik on Wednesday that bomb threat calls received by various shopping malls in the capital of Russia are fake.
"After examining the information received, no dangerous devices were found," the spokesperson said.
A source from the emergency services had earlier Wednesday told the Russian News agency that at least seven shopping malls in Moscow had received the anonymous bomb threat calls and evacuations were underway.
"A short while ago, it was reported that seven shopping centers in Moscow had received such calls. Now this figure has grown, but the specific number is still unknown," the source said.
The source added that the buildings had been cordoned off and inspections were being conducted with the help of sniffer dogs.
The spokesperson of Moscow emergency services had also confirmed that about 4,500 people had been evacuated from 14 Moscow shopping malls and Kiyevsky railway station as they tried to establish where the calls came from.
It was also later found out that all anonymous bomb threat calls received came from outside of Russia
Well a sigh of relieve grips the city as it has since been found out that the calls were fake.
A series of anonymous phone calls with claims that explosive devices were planted in various buildings in Russia started in mid-September 2017.
According to Sputnik's source in the emergency services, nearly 2.5 million people in 180 Russian cities have been evacuated since then. Over 3,500 buildings have been allegedly targeted during this period, but the threats were never confirmed.