TOP
Friday,August 07,2020 09:10 AM
  • Home
  • National
  • Army, Police deny re-arresting terror suspect

Army, Police deny re-arresting terror suspect

By Farooq Kasule

Added 11th April 2018 04:34 PM

When contacted on phone, the deputy Police spokesperson, Patrick Onyango, said he had no idea about the re-arrest of the suspect and referred New Vision to the Army spokesperson Brig. Richard Karemire.

Army, Police deny re-arresting terror suspect

When contacted on phone, the deputy Police spokesperson, Patrick Onyango, said he had no idea about the re-arrest of the suspect and referred New Vision to the Army spokesperson Brig. Richard Karemire.

PIC: Kalule being guided by prison officals back to the cells. (Credit: Farooq Kasule)

JUSTICE


KAMPALA - The Police and Army have denied knowledge of the re-arrest of a senior Muslim cleric Dr Ismail Kalule, accused of terrorism.

Kalule, a cleric at Ntinda Mosque was re-arrested on Tuesday, immediately after Justice Moses Mukiibi of the International Crimes Division of the High Court released him on bail, pending trial.

He had been freed on a sh20m noncash bail. His sureties were bonded atsh10m (noncash).

However, his freedom was short-lived as Policemen and soldiers pounced on him as he went to the court cells to be cleared by prison officers.

Moments later, security operatives were joined by plain clothes operatives, who dragged Kalule to a waiting white van registration number UAH 738Z, which was surrounded by a number of Police patrol vehicles and whisked him away to an unknown destination.

When contacted on phone, the deputy Police spokesperson, Patrick Onyango, said he had no idea about the re-arrest of the suspect and referred New Vision to the Army spokesperson Brig. Richard Karemire.

When Karemire was contacted, he said he had no idea about Kalule's re-arrest.

"I am not aware about the incident," he said.

While granting Kalule bail, Mukiibi ruled that the state had failed to adduce evidence showing that he (Kalule) might cause lawlessness to society, skip court, interfere with court justice and commit other offences while on bail.

He also said Kalule must be presumed innocent until he is proven guilty.

It should be noted that Kalule was added on the charge sheet of the suspects of the July 2010 bombings, years after he was charged with terrorism at Nakawa Chief Magistrate's Court, where he had been granted bail.

Kalule and the state are embroiled in a long-running legal dispute that stretches from 2008. He has been in and out of prison, with the state claiming he is a terrorist and a treason linkman.

In September 2011, the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) dropped terror charges against Kalule, but as he exited the court premises, he was whisked away be security personnel.

On April 30, 2014, the Police conducted a search at his home in Kiwatule and picked several Islamic teaching paraphernalia, which was used as court exhibits.

On July 24, 2014, Nakawa court resident judge Wilson Masalu-Musene granted Kalule bail.

On May 26, 2016, he was acquitted of terror charges over the July 11, 2010 Kampala double bombings.

On December 19, 2016 Kalule was committed to the International Crimes Division of the High Court.

February 15, 2018, Kalule applies for bail.    
 

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author