Saturday,October 31,2020 01:21 AM
  • Home
  • National
  • Victim's family protests delayed trial of CMI boss' son

Victim's family protests delayed trial of CMI boss' son

By Michael Odeng

Added 25th April 2017 10:42 AM

Brian Bagyenda appeared in court alongside two of his co-accused

Brian Bagyenda appeared in court alongside two of his co-accused

After six adjournments, the parents of 22-year-old Enid Twijukye, a former student of Ndejje University, who was allegedly murdered by her boyfriend, Brian Bagyenda have protested, demanding for expeditious trial.

They expressed the displeasure on Monday at Nakawa Chief Magistrate's Court after Grade One Magistrate Margaret Aanyu further remanded Bagyenda and his co-accused to Luzira Prison and adjourned the case to May 9th, 2017 for mention.

Their remand was prompted by State prosecutor, Joyce Anyango, who informed court that investigations were incomplete.

"Your worship, investigations into the case are still ongoing. I therefore pray that you give us another case mention".

"We do not know what they are investigating because continuous reporting to court is very expensive for us," Esther Mirembe Nkoko, the mother of the deceased stated.

"How long does it take for someone to be remanded? What we want from court is justice" she said adding that she has never had peace ever since her daughter's death.

Meanwhile, the father of the deceased, William Tibegaya, said they have nothing to do but to patiently wait for six months, in which prosecution is guaranteed by law to complete investigations into criminal cases.

Bagyenda, 29, appeared in court alongside Vincent Rwahwire, 28, and Innocent Bainomugisha, 24, to answer charges of murder.

On February 1, 2017, the trio was charged with murder under section 188 and 189 of the Penal Code Act. The offence carries a maximum penalty of death upon conviction.

Prosecution alleges that the accused, on January 4, 2017 at Njobe Road, plot 2 in Luzira, Nakawa division in Kampala district, with malice aforethought, unlawfully caused the death of Twijukye.

On January 18, Police arrested Bagyenda and his co-accused after telephone printouts from the mobile phone of the deceased showed that he was the last person to speak to her before she disappeared mysteriously from her home.

She was murdered and her body was dumped in Seeta, Mukono district.

Twijukye lived with her sister in Namugongo, Kira Municipality in Wakiso District. On the eve of the fateful day, she left home and told her sister she was going to visit someone in Bweyogerere.

The following day the deceased's phones went off, prompting her mother Nkoko to contact her other daughters about her whereabouts.

Later, Police recovered Twijukye's decomposing body in Namanve Forest, 11km away from the murder scene.

At the time of death, Twijukye was working at Capital Shoppers in Ntinda and was set to graduate from university.

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author