Deadline is April 21, 2017
Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the evolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. The Unit's head offices are located at the Uganda Virus Research Institute- Entebbe Campus, and the main research activities in Masaka, Kalungu, Kampala and Wakiso districts, including the peri-urban areas of Entebbe. The Unit is now seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill the following position;
IT Systems Administrator (1 Position)
Position Code: IT417
Reports to: Head of IT
Duty station: Mengo
Start Date: As soon as possible
Contract Duration: One Year renewable
Job Purpose: To ensure availability of working hardware, software, Network connectivity at all times and to assist staff in order to carry out the Unit's research activities
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Ensure network connectivity and availability of all network services (email, internet, file access, printing) to end-users
- Maintain a Virus / malware network free environment by ensuring that upgrades of the corporate anti-virus both on servers and all LAN clients are up-to-date at all times
- Setup, configure, maintain and monitor servers, routers, switches, Printers and to ensure all domain services are optimally running all the time (DNS, DHCP, AD, Printing)
- Provide Help-Desk support through effective email/call management and personal contact when required.
- Monitor network and internet usage and report to ISPs in case of a downtime
- Streamline backups on servers/PC's and recovery procedures
- Record all ICT support requests within the Helpdesk Management System
- Manage VOIP on Cisco call manager platform
- Manage CCTV surveillance and Access control systems
- Assist and support in the implementation of ICT projects
- Evaluate solutions as part of the ICT strategy
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field from an accredited college or university.
• MCSA or MCSE /CCNA certification is an added advantage.
• Three (3) years of experience in computer operations and technical support including at least one year at the enterprise systems management level
• Extensive hands on experience in the management and administration of windows, vSphere (ESX) and Enterprise storage devices
• Good knowledge of both client and server operating systems. Strong troubleshooting and support of SAN technology with a virtualised computing environment.
• Have strong server administration skills with Windows server platforms.
• Strong knowledge of backup technologies utilizing disk to disk solutions as well as tape based solutions (Backup Exec)
• Strong understanding of networking concept, security and disaster recovery management and High Availability
• Good communication skills in English, customer care orientation, I.T troubleshooting and problem solving, ability to learn, openness and flexibility to others, proactivity and concern for excellence
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Application letters, curriculum vitae including names, email addresses and telephone contact details of three (3) referees, plus copies of academic qualifications should be emailed to email@example.com not later than Friday 21st April 2017
Please quote the position code (IT417) in the subject line of the email
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews
MRC/UVRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER