Financial Controller needed at GOAL
Founded in 1977, GOAL works to promote the realization of the fundamental rights of the poor, the vulnerable, and those affected by humanitarian crisis. GOAL Uganda's current country programme focuses on Health Accountability and a market based approach to agricultural livelihoods and WASH.
GOAL works on a district focused approach, and uses a mixture of direct implementation and partnerships with national and international civil society organizations, local government, the private sector and communities to give effect to our mission. GOAL is currently operational in the North, South, East and West of Uganda with six offices in Kampala, Bugiri, Abim, Kaabong, Agago, and Lira Districts.
GOAL is equal opportunity employer Women and People with disability are encouraged to apply. GOAL is committed to the safety and protection of children in our care from intentional and unintentional harm. Candidates will therefore be expected to comply with GOAL Uganda's child protection policy. GOAL is seeking to fill the position of;
A.General Description of the Role:
The Financial Controller is responsible for the financial management, internal control systems, and reporting requirements of GOAL.
The Financial controller has overall responsibility for the day to day accounting and financial management, partnership finance, and taxation requirements of the country programme.
Additionally the financial controller has a significant risk management responsibility in what is challenging operating environment. In particular the successful candidate will ensure timely submission of monthly reports to GOAL Dublin comprising the Management Accounts, Donor Status Reporting and other reports as required and also ensure timely submission of required donors reports, statutory reports and other ad hoc reporting to relevant authorities. As a key member of the senior management team, the Financial Controller will contribute to the overall development and running of the country programme.
B. Reporting directly to:
C. Location: Kampala
D. Key tasks and responsibilities:
1. Oversee Financial Management within GOAL Uganda
• Ensure proper financial systems are in place and implemented to record and report field and head office expenditure;
• Ensure compliance with accounting procedures and policies and actively monitor internal controls to minimize risk to the organization. In particular ensure appropriate cash management procedures are in place and operating effectively;
• Oversee all cash management, including cash counts and cash transfers to field sites and from Dublin head office and coordination with local banks on currency contracts;
• Ensure cost allocations basis among donors are reasonable;
• Review GOAL annual and quarterly rolling budgets;
• Review monthly management accounts including donor status reporting for submission to GOAL Head Office, Dublin, adhering to strict deadlines;
• Maintain and keep updated Uganda Finance Manual, including a summarized and simplified finance manual for use by project managers and other field based staff;
• Keeping abreast of taxation requirements and changes in taxation law;
• Through management of the AFC, ensure: - Management of the day-to-day financial reporting to facilitate on-time reporting to Donors and Dublin HQ; - Monthly Sage Accounts Process is completed accurately and timely;
- Monthly payroll process is completed accurately and timely;
- The Field Office Finance Teams are supported by the Kampala Finance
- The Field Office Finance make their submissions on time.
2. Oversee Partner Grants Management
• FC has overall responsibility for the Grants Management team including line management of the Grants Manager. This can be achieved through delegation to the AFC.
3. Financial Lead for Donor Proposals and Grant Management
• Provide Technical Support on Donor budgets, Donor reporting, Guidelines &
Regulations to GOAL Uganda Management Team;
• Monitor and assist with the financial management and setting of programme budgets including expenditure forecasting;
• Review financial reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies, adhering to strict deadlines;
• Review the financial sections of donor proposals, budgets and reports.
4. Lead Annual Statutory Audit and Specific Project Audits
• Facilitate timely completion of the Annual Statutory Audit and Financial Statements;
• Facilitate timely completion of Specific Project Audits;
• Ensure preparation and retention of documentation to facilitate the annual
external audit, donor audits, internal audits and revenue audits.
5. Supervision of GOAL Uganda Finance Team
• Ensure there is a fully operating finance team by:
• Lead on recruitment of finance staff;
• Ensure job descriptions of team members are outlined, updated and communicated;
• Oversee training and capacity building of finance staff;
• Conduct six monthly appraisals of AFC, to be filed with HR;
• Ensure adequate field cover is provided;
• Identify personnel development plans for team members and ensure follow through;
• Deal with any disciplinary or personnel issues in the team as required.
6. Coordination with other teams
• Member of SMT;
• In cooperation with the Programmes & Logistics team ensure that GOAL Uganda is in compliance with all relevant donor and internal guidelines;
• Provide support to the HR Manager on personnel and staff issues which have
7. Other Duties as required by Management
E: Essential Requirements:
• Minimum of 7 years working experience and at least 3 years at senior management level
• Qualified accountant. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent
• Experience in dealing with institutional donors such as Irish Aid, DFID, MasterCard foundation, Charity water, Bank of Ireland etc.
• Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills
F: Desirable Requirements:
• Working knowledge of Sage
• At least 3 years' experience of working within an international NGO
• Self-motivated, organised and innovative
• Excellent analytical and writing skills
G. How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications which must include at least 4 reference contacts (2 professional, 2 character references, including your supervisor and the most recent/previous employer), and daytime contact number to; The Human Resource Manager, GOAL Uganda: or email on firstname.lastname@example.org by December 18th 2016. PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES. Indicate the position in email subject. Only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted.