Brazilian football legend Pele was released from hospital Saturday following prostate surgery, doctors said, after his latest health scare.
SAO PAULO - Brazilian football legend Pele was released from hospital Saturday following prostate surgery, doctors said, after his latest health scare.
Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo said the 74-year-old was discharged at 6:30 pm (2130 GMT). He was treated at the same facility last year for a severe urinary tract infection.
The hospital released a picture of a smiling Pele wearing sportswear and waving at the camera with his partner, Marcia Cibele Aoki.
The only player to win three World Cup titles underwent a surgical procedure four days ago known as a transurethral resection of the prostate, which is performed for enlargement of the prostate that causes difficulty urinating.
"Examination results revealed that this is a benign hyperplasia, and therefore there was no incidence of tumors," a medical report indicated Friday.
Media reports said the surgery for an enlarged prostate -- a common condition in aging men -- was aimed at preventing a repeat of the urinary infection that sent Pele to the hospital last year.
Media workers are seen in front of the main entrance of the Albert Einstein hospital where Pele was hospitalized
The global sports icon has suffered a number of health crises in recent months.
He underwent surgery for kidney stones in November, and then came down with an infection that required treatment in a hospital intensive care unit for several days.
His one remaining kidney -- the other was removed following a rib injury during his playing days -- stopped working and had to be treated with dialysis.
He was also operated on the femur in November 2012.
Pele was named Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee in 1999.
The athlete, whose real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, is widely regarded as the greatest football player of all time.
Pele released from hospital after surgery