Over 600 households that were displaced by floods in Ntoroko district after River Semuliki burst its banks are calling for more relief support from Government and other nongovernmental organisations.
By Rogers Sunday
Over 600 households that were displaced by floods in Ntoroko district after River Semuliki burst its banks are calling for more relief support from Government and other non-governmental organisations.
The floods, which cut off sub counties of Butungama, Bweramule and Kanara, destroyed property ranging from houses to domestic animals.
“I have received reports that a number of goats and cows have been killed by floods,” Edward Birungi, a parish chief in Butungama, said. He quickly added that no human death has been reported so far.
Stephen Kaswarra, a father of 7 children who was rescued by a boat two days after his house was washed away by floods, said: “accommodating my family is now a big problem.” He is now living in a tent.
“I got this tent from a well-wisher; it is where my entire family is sleeping,” he said.
“We do not have even a single plate or cup but only one saucepan. They were all taken by the water as we ran for our dear lives,” Kaswarra said.
“I was a cow boy before the floods hit but now I even lost my job after my boss took away the cows,” he added.
Amos Katusabe, a resident of Budiba village, says “there are fears that some wild animals like hippos and snakes could come along with the waters and attack people like it the case was last year.”
50-year old Stephen Ngasirwaki, a father of 10, says his family was left with no option but to sleep outside after abandoning their house and land in Nyamwobe village.
“I had ploughed land to plant crops and bought some food for my family but it was destroyed by the water and the ploughed land was all washed away,” Ngasirwaki told this reporter on Tuesday.
“The flood water is being used by both people and animals. All the latrines were washed way and people ease themselves in the waters,” Ibrahim Baluku, the district information officer, said on phone.
Baluku added that the district has written to the Central Government and charity organizations and are now waiting for support.
World Vision, a non-governmental charity organisation, donated 1248 mosquito nets to 624 households as one of the ways to prevent disease spread.
“The relief we have brought is not enough because the people are still suffering. We would not like to hear about any death or disease outbreak,” Evelyn Atuhairwe, the World Vision branch manager, said while handing over the mosquito nets.
She also cautioned the beneficiaries to use the mosquito nets for the intended purpose other than selling them off or using them to catch fish.
Ntoroko Flood victims call for more relief