TOP
Thursday,July 09,2020 23:04 PM

Nutrition- Egg shells good for you

By Vision Reporter

Added 28th March 2010 03:00 AM

WHEN Joyce Namatovu, a mother of two, confessed that she feeds her two-year-old daughter on crushed powder of egg-shells, many mothers were surprised. This was during the recent Mama Tendo Weaning Seminar.

WHEN Joyce Namatovu, a mother of two, confessed that she feeds her two-year-old daughter on crushed powder of egg-shells, many mothers were surprised. This was during the recent Mama Tendo Weaning Seminar.

By Halima Shaban

WHEN Joyce Namatovu, a mother of two, confessed that she feeds her two-year-old daughter on crushed powder of egg-shells, many mothers were surprised. This was during the recent Mama Tendo Weaning Seminar.

Elizabeth Masaba, a nutritionist, says egg shells contain calcium which is vital for healthy bones.
“Egg shell calcium presents healthy, balanced calcium due to other minerals it contains.

It is the best natural source of calcium which is easier for our bodies to digest and absorb,” Masaba says
An egg shell consists of about 94% to 97% calcium carbonate. The other 3% is organic matter and egg shell pigment.

Lydia Musinguzi, a nutritionist, says most people require a minimum of 400mg of calcium per day in addition to calcium from other food sources.

“However, one should not exceed more than 500mg at once because our bodies cannot process a lot of calcium at a go,” she says.

She adds that calcium and magnesium should be taken in equal amounts. It should be noted that some people require more magnesium than calcium, depending on how much they obtain from their diet.

Masaba says you can use any kind of egg (duck, chicken, goose, turkey), but it is better to use eggs from free-range birds.

“If the bird does not get proper nutrients, the egg shells will not contain the nutrients we need,” she adds.

Masaba says some people know that eggshells are a good source of calcium but do not know how to consume them.

“First wash the shell thoroughly and then grind it finely to mix with other substances for consumption,” she says. Take half a tea spoon of the powder and mix it in any meal or juice.

Masaba says most children are given a lot of milk because it is a good source of calcium. “Calcium gives you bright, strong shiny teeth. It also makes your bones strong.”

Research shows that we need calcium. Musinguzi says not only does calcium strengthen teeth, it also maintains several bodily functions like clotting of blood, transmission of nerve impulses, regulating our heart beat and the absorption of vitamins such as B12.

Other calcium sources
Masaba says: “All green, leafy vegetables contain calcium. Although spinach contains it, it also contains an enzyme that makes it hard for the calcium to be absorbed.”

She says other good vegetable sources of calcium are dried peas and beans, fruits like oranges, dates and figs; others are raw nuts and seeds, and sesame seeds, which can be sprinkled on salads.

Making powdered egg shells
Boil organic egg shells for five to 10 minutes to remove all pathogens contained within the shell.

Do not remove the membrane because it contains important nutrients for the joints.

Let the shells dry thoroughly.
Break the shell pieces and grind them into a fine powder.
Store the powdered egg shells in a covered glass container.

Nutrition- Egg shells good for you

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author