TOP
Friday,October 23,2020 06:37 AM
  • Home
  • Archive
  • ‘CHOGM ministers should answer’

‘CHOGM ministers should answer’

By Vision Reporter

Added 18th May 2010 03:00 AM

MINISTERS implicated in the mismanagement of CHOGM funds should answer for their actions, tourism, trade and industry minister Kahinda Otafiire has said.

MINISTERS implicated in the mismanagement of CHOGM funds should answer for their actions, tourism, trade and industry minister Kahinda Otafiire has said.

By Barbara Among

MINISTERS implicated in the mismanagement of CHOGM funds should answer for their actions, tourism, trade and industry minister Kahinda Otafiire has said.

“Everyone should answer for their deeds. Everyone should explain for themselves. We all had our roles,” Otafiire said.

The probe report into the expenditure incurred during the 2007 Commonwealth summit meeting presented to Parliament last week implicated several ministers, including the Vice-President, Prof. Gilbert Bukenya, and called for action against them. It said the ministers would be personally held liable for the loss of billions of shillings.

Other ministers singled out for disciplinary action include Sam Kutesa (foreign affairs), John Nasasira (works), Amama Mbabazi (security), John Byabagambi (works), Mwesigwa Rukutana (education state minister), Isaac Musumba (regional cooperation) and Hope Mwesigye (agriculture).

But Rukutana and Musumba contested the report, arguing that they were not given an opportunity to respond to the allegations against them. Rukutana has since been cleared of the allegations.

Otafiire, who was by then minister for local government, said his deputy then, Hope Mwesigye, should answer for the irregularities associated to her in the report.

“She was in charge of certain areas. If there are any questions, she should answer,” Otafiire said.

Mwesigye is being blamed for the sh6b allegedly spent on the beautification of the city.

She has, however, denied responsibility, saying the local government accounting officer should be held responsible for all actions taken during the CHOGM preparation.

The report blamed Bukenya for making orders that flouted procurement rules during the purchase of the executive CHOGM cars, which resulted into a loss of sh6b.

The committee wants Kutesa and Nasasira to answer for their role in the car deal.

It also wants Nasasira held responsible for the variation in road repairs without justification.

The report said Mbabazi should answer for the loss of $1.8m in inflated costs.

It also wants him punished for flouting procurement rules in the purchase of security equipment worth $5m.

‘CHOGM ministers should answer’

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author