OUR people died and at least 36 others sustained serious injuries when a Gaa Gaa bus overturned on the Kampala-Gulu highway.
Darious Magara and Fredrick Kiwanuka
FOUR people died and at least 36 others sustained serious injuries when a Gaa Gaa bus overturned on the Kampala-Gulu highway.
The accident occurred at 10:30pm at Kakandi between Wabigalo and Sasira trading centres in Nakasongola district.
Central region police spokesperson, Lameck Kigozi yesterday said the front tyre burst and the â€œvehicle rolled off the roadâ€.
The bus was heading to Koboko in northeastern Uganda. The police identified three of the dead as Shaban Kolia, Richard Malisha and Mohammed.
A female victim was not identified. Their bodies were taken to Nakasongola health centre.
The police suspect the driver was speeding, which made it impossible to control the vehicle after the tyre burst.
A fire brigade team had to cut the body of the bus to pull out survivors since the vehicle was mangled.
Kigozi said the injured were rushed to Mulago Hospital, except Davis Okuonzi, the conductor, who was admitted to Nsambya Hospital.
Gaa Gaa boss James Nyakuni said the tyre that burst had been fitted on the vehicle on May 15. He said the bus left Kampala at 9:00pm with 55 passengers.
Regretting the loss of life and described Kolia as a seasoned driver, who joined his company two years ago from Otada, another transport company.
This is the second crash involving the relatively safe Gaa Gaa buses. In January, a passenger died when Kampala-bound Gaa Gaa bus overturned at Katalemwa in Wakiso district. The driver missed a turn and the vehicle veered off the road injuring 38 people.
Road carnage is a major cause of death in Uganda. In 2009, 18,563 people were involved in accidents out of which 2,734 (15%) were killed, 13,392 (72 %) were seriously injured and 2,437 (13 %) sustained minor injuries.
Survivors at Mulago
1. Mathias Kakooza, of Busega
2. Christine Taibo, Najjanankumbi
3. Lauben Muleche, 35, from Mbarara
4. Hamisi Bernard, 45, Sudanese
5. Royce Moga, 50, Sudanese
6. Maimunah Ishamael 24, Congolese
7. Joan Mary, 33, Sudanese
8. Emmanuel Mugisha, 25, Kansanga Church
9. Richard Taabu, 32, Arua.
10. Ochira Nassuuna, 23, Kansanga
11. Joyce Araba, 42, Katakwi
12. Erick Candia, 22, Koboko
13. Isaac Sam, 22, Bushenyi.
14. Joyce Pai, 40, Kakwa
15. Ishmael Harike, 3, Kakwa
16. Israel Monday Anziku, 36, Kansanga
17. Emmanuel Ajali, 30, Kakwa
18. Sulaiman Kibuule, 25, Nateete
19. Abdul Kaweesi, 18, Kayunga
20. Sam Ondu, 37, Arua
21. Fauru Nambazi, 20, Kansanga
22. Henry Alemi, 22, Ibongo-Koboko
23. Adinami Alolo, 19, Mbachi-Koboko
24. Sande Bosco, 33, Ayigaba-Yei
25. Adam Jafari, 28, Koboko
26.Arafati Muhamad, 40, Sudanese
27. Sulaiman Rahim, 30, Kampala
28. Abdullah Mukasa, 40, Nansana
29. Kyambadde N, Kitintale
30. John Bamuyiga, Kiboga
31. Samuel Ondu, 27, Arua
32. Asiri Arupina, 48, Katakwi
33. Adinane Alolo, 19, Koboko
34. Isma Aligu, 3 years.
35. Unknown male between 28-30 years
Four killed in Gulu highway bus accident