TOP
Thursday,August 06,2020 01:18 AM

97 more charged over city riots

By Vision Reporter

Added 22nd September 2009 03:00 AM

NINETY-seven suspected rioters were yesterday charged in various courts in Kampala. Seventy-five of them appeared at the Kajjansi Magistrates Court.

NINETY-seven suspected rioters were yesterday charged in various courts in Kampala. Seventy-five of them appeared at the Kajjansi Magistrates Court.

By Charles Ariko, Lydia Namubiru, Florence Nakaayi and Edward Anyoli

NINETY-seven suspected rioters were yesterday charged in various courts in Kampala. Seventy-five of them appeared at the Kajjansi Magistrates Court for allegedly taking part in unlawful assembly, rioting, demolition of buildings and destruction of cars across Kampala city.

About 200 suspects were charged last week over the riots which paralysed the city for three days.
At least 500 suspects were arrested over the riots, which were sparked off when the Police stopped Buganda’s prime minister from going to Kayunga district to prepare for Kabaka Ronald Mutebi’s visit.

The 75 suspects were remanded to Kigo Prison, but the Police rejected 13 of them, saying they were underage. The Police had, however, described them as adults in the charge sheet.

The magistrate ordered the Police to establish the age of the 13 suspects before producing them in court again on Thursday. The court also ordered the state to produce a 17-year juvenile who was not produced in court yesterday.

In Makindye Magistrates Court, 22 men suspected of burning the Nateete Police Station were charged with terrorism.

According to the court, the men burnt the Police station and the 25 cars that were parked there so as to force the Government to bow to their demands.

According to the State, investigations into the terrorism case were in advanced stages.
The suspects were escorted to the court by the military and the Police armed with AK47 rifles. On arrival, the security officers, who included the Anti-Stock Theft Unit, surrounded the court.

The court did not allow the men to plead because terrorism is a capital offence tried only by the High Court. The magistrate advised them to apply for bail in the High Court. He then ordered them to be remanded in Luzira Prison, leaving their relatives in tears.

They were identified as Robert Sekabira, Gerald Kagga, Hakim Lwanga, Richard Kijjambu, Juma Sekyanzi, Sam Ssemambo, Adad Kibuuka, Paul Kigurwe, Kassim Ntambi and George Kafuma.

Others were Muzafaru Mugisha, Ssali Magoba, Paul Kakembo, Elisha Mujuni, Muhammad Sekatawa, Bashir Mutyaba, Medi Nsubuga, Kato of Rubaga, Rogers Luzinda, John Gafumba and Musa Ssengendo.

Their lawyer, Uthman Mulindwa, who is acting on behalf of Buganda Kingdom, said he had started processing bail for the suspects, whom he said had been kept in detention longer than the 48 hours provided for by the Constitution.

In Buganda Road Court, two suspects were also charged with rioting. According to the Police, Alex Lubakyooya and Magidu Kavuuma Makolo destroyed a Police structure, Police uniform, a wall clock, radios, a station diary and radio call charger at the Nateete Police Station during the riot.

97 more charged over city riots

Related articles

More From The Author

More From The Author