Oyet a guard
- MP Simon Oyet (Nwoya) stunned the House when he confessed that at the crowning of the Acholi cultural leader, Rwot David Onen Achan, he was part of the royal guards. â€œWe guarded our king with pangas, knives and spears yet that was du
- MP Simon Oyet (Nwoya) stunned the House when he confessed that at the crowning of the Acholi cultural leader, Rwot David Onen Achan, he was part of the royal guards. â€œWe guarded our king with pangas, knives and spears yet that was during the hard times of the LRA,â€ he said. He observed that bringing military personnel to guard cultural leaders was divorcing people from their culture. Oyet acted as a royal guard for three years but it is not listed as part of his employment record on the parliamentary website. That seems to be a grave oversight and does not do justice to his CV.
- Beatrice Anywar aka â€˜Mama Mabiraâ€™ likes teasing people. She recently made her fellow MPs laugh when she put out her hand to greet fellow legislator Ben Wacha. One would have imagined that she was going to slap Wachaâ€™s hand but the cheeky MP just pinched his palm which left him shy and those around laughing. It was like waving back at someone, only to realise he was only scratching his head. What an interesting way to greet a member of the august House!
Toxin or Toskin?
- Sometimes names can be very confusing. Kongasis county MP Johnson Toskin got a taste of this when his fellow legislator Christopher Kibanzanga (Busongora South) introduced him as Honourable â€˜Toxinâ€™ before delegates at the AMANI forum meeting. All participants laughed until Toskin came and introduced himself correctly.
- Could it be that the Ministry of Defence has a plan of bringing a policy on who should be a guest honour? This is what Soroti MP Alice Alaso wants to know. She recently demanded to know why the Government had developed phobia for cultural leaders. She gave the example of the riots that broke out in Busoga after military personnel prevented King Nadiope Gabula to flag off motorists in a racing competition. Alaso tasked the defence ministry to produce a list of individuals they have cleared to act as guests of honour.
CORRIDORS OF POWER