The Fifth Extra-Ordinary Summit of the East African Community ended in Kampala last evening. Below is the chronology of events to the summit and the the highlights of the Agenda
- November 30, 2006 EAC Heads of States note successful conclusion of negotiations with Rwanda and Burundi to join EAC. The summit decides to admit Rwanda and Burundi as full members of EAC effective July 1, 2007.
- June 12 -13; Senior officials of the coordination committee meet in Kampala
- June 14: Coordination committee Permanent Secretaries meet in Kampala
- June 15: Extra-Ordinary meeting of the Council of Ministers. It was attended by Hon Eriya Kategaya, First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of East African Affairs of the Republic of Uganda and Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the East African Community; Hon Dr Ibrahim Msabaha, Minister of East African Co-operation of the United Republic of Tanzania; and Hon John Arap Koech, Minister of East African Community of the Republic of Kenya.
- June 18: Fifth Extra-Ordinary Summit of the Heads of States at Kampala Serena Hotel. It was attended by His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the President of the Republic of Uganda, His Excellency Jakaya Kikwete, the President of the United Republic of Tanzania, His Excellency, Paul Kagame, the President of the Republic of Rwanda, His Excellency, Pierre Nkurunziza, the President of the Republic of Burundi.
Below are the highlights of the agenda of the summit
- Treaties of Accession for Admission of the Republic of Burundi and the Republic of Rwanda into the East African Community.
- Terms and conditions of service for Members of the East African Legislative Assembly and Judges of the East African Court of Justice;
- Establishment of the Appellate Division of the East African Court of Justice; Ex Gratia Payments to the retired Judges of the East African Court of Justice
- Appointment of a new Deputy Secretary General. Following the expiry of the term of Dr Kipyego Cheluget, the Council was required to recommend to the Summit the name of a person nominated by a Partner State (Kenya) for appointment as Deputy Secretary General.
- The Constitution of the Second East African Legislative Assembly.
- Progress Report of the National Consultations on fast tracking the process towards the establishment of a Political Federation
- Consideration of Anthem proposals and adoption of an EAC Anthem.
- Accession for the Admission of the Republic of Burundi and the Republic of Rwanda into the East African Community.
Highlights of the EAC Kampala summit