His research and publications cover a wide spectrum of HIV/AIDS, related diseases and other medical conditions
Prof. Peter Mugyenyi is a Ugandan Paediatrician, researcher and specialist on HIV/AIDS and related conditions. He is the Executive Director of Joint Clinical Research Centre, Kampala – a centre of excellence in medical research, training and healthcare. He was among the pioneers who introduced use of ARV in Africa, as well as development of an effective model for scaling up ARVs in resource limited countries.
Prof. Mugyenyi has been a Principal Investigator on dozens of landmark research projects some of them funded by National Institutes of Health (NIH), European Union, WHO and Medical Research Council (MRC). His research and publications cover a wide spectrum of HIV/AIDS, related diseases and other medical conditions. Specific areas of his research include: paediatric and adult HIV treatment, drug trials, HIV resistance, HIV prevention, immunological studies including HIV vaccine trials, pharmacokinetic, molecular and epidemiological studies as well as social and economic impact of HIV.
Internationally, he has served as a board member on a number of institutions and organizations in Africa, UK, India and the USA. Other roles include membership of various advisory boards including HIV Vaccine Trials Network, USA, Massachusetts General Hospital and Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, USA and the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) 90-90-90 initiative to end the HIV epidemic, among others.
• Born to Yudesi and Semu Ndimbirwe of Rukungiri in 1948.
• Attended Kinyasano Primary School, Kigezi High (1963-64) and King’s College Budo (1965-69)
• A degree in human medicine at Makerere University (1970-75), went into exile in Lesotho where he did a post-graduate in medicine and paediatrics (1977)
• Went to Saudi Arabia where he headed a regional paediatrics base at Maternity and Children’s Hospital, Jeddah (1985)
• Returned to Uganda (1989 as a paediatrics consultant at Mulago (1990)
• Became JCRC director (1992-to-date)
• Chancellor, Mbarara University of Science and Technology (2009-to-date).
• In February 2014, he was appointed as an independent Director, to the Board of Cipla, the Indian pharmaceutical company with an ARV manufacturing factory in Uganda