TOP
Wednesday,October 23,2019 17:47 PM

Ruhindi proposes land bank

By Andante Okanya, Edward Anyoli

Added 14th September 2019 04:14 PM

The former Attorney General said such a methodical approach would ensure that the country has an inventory that specifies suitable land that the government can apportion for economic development.

Ruhindi 703x422

The former Attorney General said such a methodical approach would ensure that the country has an inventory that specifies suitable land that the government can apportion for economic development.

 
Former Attorney General Frederick Ruhindi. File Photo 
 
Land probe commissioner Frederick Ruhindi has proposed that the government should establish a land bank, saying it will restore sanity in availing land for investment.
 
The former Attorney General said such a methodical approach would ensure that the country has an inventory that specifies suitable land that the government can apportion for economic development.
 
“If the government had a land bank, investors would not lack land. We need a clear regulatory framework,” said Ruhindi.
 
He made the remarks on Friday at the National Archives and Records Centre in Kampala.
 
The probe commission was interacting with a team from Legal Aid Service Providers Network(LASPNET).
 
Led by LASPNET executive director Sylvia Namubiru, the team presented a situational analysis on compulsory land acquisition management in Uganda.
 
Other members were lead consultant James Nkubi, Vincent Mutonera, Viola Ojok, and Badru Walusansa.
 
Commission fact file
 
On December 8, 2016, President Yoweri Museveni appointed a seven-member commission of inquiry chaired by Court of Appeal Justice Catherine Bamugemereire, to inquire into land matters. 
 
This was prompted by several documented instances of public outcry. The team took oath on February 19, 2017, with the mandate to inquire into the effectiveness of law, policies and processes of land acquisition, land administration, land management, and land registration. 
 
Subsequently, public hearings commenced on May 9, 2017, at National Archives and Records Centre in the city suburb of Nakasero.
 
On November 10, 2017, the President extended the probe’s mandate for six months. Last year on May 4, 2018, Museveni endorsed an 18-month extension of the probe.
 
The probe commissioners are Frederick Ruhindi, Dr. Rose Nakayi, Mary Ochan, Robert Ssebunnya, Joyce Habaasa, and George Bagonza. 
 
Deputy lead counsel is John Bosco Suuza, while Andrew Odiit is assistant lead counsel.
 
 
 

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles