TOP
Saturday,August 24,2019 07:21 AM

UPC spells doom on opposition in 2021

By Faith Amongin

Added 2nd August 2018 02:39 PM

UPC has warned that if they don’t focus on grass root politics, they might lose out on the 2021 general election.

Upc703422 703x422

UPC has warned that if they don’t focus on grass root politics, they might lose out on the 2021 general election.

PIC: UPC party spokesperson, Michael Osinde. (File photo)

POLITICS

KAMPALA - The Uganda People’s Congress (UPC) has warned fellow opposition of likelihood to lose out in the next general elections if they do not make early preparations.

This follows the dismal performance of the Opposition political parties in the just concluded elections for local councils one and two as well as women executives.

According to preliminary results, by the Electoral Commission (EC) the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) took up over 69% of positions in the local council polls leaving a meager 31% for all opposition political parties and independent candidates to share.

UPC has warned that if they don’t focus on grass root politics, they might lose out on the 2021 general election arguing that votes are generated directly from the grassroots.

“The just concluded elections after the creation of new districts and municipalities have been an eye opener to so many important issues,” said Michael Osinde, the Party’s spokesperson.

“At LC1 elections, most political parties are not focused at grass root politics, which is a big mistake as we head to the 2021 general elections.

"We rally behind UPC party president (Jimmy Akena)’s call of strengthening our firm foundation through grass root mobilisation,” said Osinde.

Osinde made the remarks while addressing journalists during the weekly press briefing at the party headquarters at Uganda House in Kampala on Wednesday.

UPC argues it was a big mistake for political parties not to focus on the grass roots politics to ensure that they win the elections, as this has now made their mobilization platform shaky.

 

 

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles