TOP
  • Home
  • East
  • Another Sironko landslide body recovered

Another Sironko landslide body recovered

By Paul Watala

Added 21st September 2017 06:54 PM

Namono was on September 18, 2017 recovered by residents and relatives resorted to using rudimentary ways to dig the heavy mud mixed with rocks.

Landslide 703x422

Namono was on September 18, 2017 recovered by residents and relatives resorted to using rudimentary ways to dig the heavy mud mixed with rocks.



Although government had stopped digging to recover the remaining  bodies that were buried by mudslide, residents and relative of the landslide victims have continued to use rudimentary ways to search for them.

Another nine-year-old girl’s body identified as Namono who was among the seven that were feared to have been buried by the recent landslide in Bufupa parish in Sironko district was recovered.

Namono was on September 18, 2017 recovered by residents and relatives resorted to using rudimentary ways to dig the heavy mud mixed with rocks.

Relatives and resident armed with hoes and other tools spend most of their time searching for the bodies while women who cannot manage to dig are  seen sobbing  while praying asking  to God to intervene.

“God you’re the creator of earth and heaven we ask you to intervene and help us that we recover the bodies of our relatives. We pray that they also receive a decent send off,” Jacqueline Namono, armed with Bible prayed.

“We shall not easily give up on searching for bodies of our relatives like the way government is intending to do,” she added.

Recently government declared that it had given up on the digging to recover the bodies of six people that had been buried by mudslide.

The remains of five people are still missing

The state minister for disaster preparedness, Musa Echweru on September 8, 2017 toured affected area.

After touring the scene he lost hope and said that it was not possible to retrieve the remaining bodies as the machines had already failed because of heavy stones that made work complicated.

 "It’s not possible to have these bodies retrieved from the soils and our UPDF officers  are also at risk of being trapped by another landslide due to the cracks already created in the area," Echweru said.

He also revealed that over 1650 households are still at risk of being struck again by mudslide because the rainy season is to continue up to December.

 Echweru called for the immediate relocation of the families still staying in landslide prone areas.

He promised to send more relief aid in terms of food, tents, and blankets for the affected families that are being relocated to the camps gazetted.

 

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles