Vipers subject KCCA to first home defeat

By Kasozi Balikuddembe

Added 26th April 2017 11:01 AM

It was KCCA's first defeat at home this season.

Vipers4 703x422

It was KCCA's first defeat at home this season.


Tuesday result

KCCA 1 Vipers 2

KAMPALA - Vipers held KCCA's feet to the fire in dramatic fashion as they came from a goal down to win 2-1 Tuesday at the Phillip Omondi Stadium.

A huge setback to KCCA'S surge towards defending the title and a huge statement for the travelling Vipers who became the first team to beat KCCA at home this season.

It was a game that looked more in favour of Mike Mutebi's boys, dictating play in the early moments of the match.

Eventually they broke the deadlock when on-form 33-year-old Geoffrey Sserunkuuma found the back of the net from the spot following Nicholas Wadada's hand ball in the area after 16 minutes of play, ending the first half 1-0.

The KCCA marksman has now taken his tally to an unbeaten 18 goals this season.

In the second half, Nicholas Wadada and co. looked to be re-energized and actually started playing more with intent.

Vipers skipper Nicholas Wadada attempts to dribble past KCCA defenders

Their pressing football built enough pressure only for KCCA's defender Timothy Awany to carelessly lose the ball to a well-positioned Tony Odur who made no mistake but punish goalie Benjamin Ochan to level matters for Miguel da Costa's boys in the 64th minute.

Noncomplacent Vipers continued to attack with a jugular instinct and the result was a good finish by defender Geoffrey Wasswa to give the visitors the entire loot.

"I'm satisfied with how the boys have played. We really deserved to win," said Da Costa after the game.

The two coaches had a chat after the final whistle

Vipers have moved into third place on 42 points. KCCA, despite losing the game, remained top of the log on 48 points but have two games in hand over second-placed SC Villa.

"We blew up the game because of careless errors and we were punished," said KCCA head coach Mike Mutebi.

However their loss against Vipers has quite created more pressure and a fixture against Express Friday at Wankuluku is not the news they would want to hear as the league enters the business end with only six games left for the defending champions.

Their defence of the title won't be any easier considering Mutebi's side also have another eye on continental duties (CAF Confederation Cup).

Vipers' Tony Odur was on the scoresheet on Tuesday, but he had his moments of profligacy in front of goal



Geoffrey Wasswa tried to beat KCCA's Muzamiru Mutyaba and Geoffrey Sserunkuuma 



Derrick Nsibambi of the hosts and opponent Wadada rose highest to contest for an aerial ball



Home captain Denis Okot once found himself entangled in a battle with Vipers defenders



Vipers' Moses Waisswa writhed in pain as he received medical attention after being brought down



KCCA's Paul Musamali was determined to take on opponent Frank Twesigye



Oh yes, it was a very physical game!



Coach Mutebi was a restless man on the sidelines, often seen throwing his arms around in frustration



Geoffrey Wasswa was one of the two scorers for the visitors as Vipers bagged three points at the expense of KCCA







Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles