Wash the ghee in cold water to remove the dirt and impurities
For a family of about 10 people, you need the following:
• One kilo of ghee (unprocessed or ghee in its ordinary form)
• A pinch of rock salt
• Boiled cold water
• Wash the ghee in cold water to remove the dirt and impurities
• Mix a pinch of rock salt in water to dissolve
• Add the salty water to the ghee and stir until the ghee changes colour from yellow to white.
• Add water as you continue to stir, until the content turns white
• Dissolve the salt in cold, boiled water and pour into the already formed Kitaama. Stir until you get the desired thickness.
• Sieve the Kitaama to remove particles or impurities that could have remained.
• Serve as sauce with any food of preference such as millet bread.
Kitaama should not be warmed; it is eaten cold. She adds that when you have it in plenty, you can keep it in a deep freezer for about two months.