TOP
Tuesday,September 17,2019 19:16 PM

Mengo hands over sh70m for fistula fight

By Jeff Andrew Lule

Added 15th July 2016 11:50 AM

While receiving the dummy cheque, Dr. Florence Nalubega thanked Mengo for the initiative which has so far treated 688 women.

Catherinekigozi 703x422

Catherine Kigozi, 41, narrates are ordeal after suffering fistula. Photos/Meddi Musisi

While receiving the dummy cheque, Dr. Florence Nalubega thanked Mengo for the initiative which has so far treated 688 women.

Buganda Kingdom has handed over sh70m to Kitovu Hospital as part of the contribution towards the fight against fistula.

The money is part of the proceeds which were collected from this year’s Kabaka Run.  

It was handed over by the Katikkiro Charles Peter Mayiga and Princess Joan Nasolo, at the Bulange Mengo on Thursday.

The function was also attended by the key sponsors of the event including Vision Group, Airtel Uganda, Post Bank, and Events Warehouse among others.

Mayiga urged men to steer the fight against fistula instead of abandoning their wives.

"When women develop this problem, men run away ‘to see’ other women. This is very bad. You must take the lead in helping your wives to take them for treatment," he noted.

Mayiga said the Kingdom is concerned about people's health, a reason why they came up with campaign.

Vision Group CEO, also chairman of the Kabaka Run organizing committee, Robert Kabushenga, thanked all sponsors and the ordinary people for their support.

"When we started this with Airtel in 2014, it was not easy. Very few people knew about fistula. But I feel proud that now many know about this problem. It gives me happiness when I meet people in remote areas following what we are doing," he added.

Kabushenga said he was very happy that many women have attained their pride back because of the Kabaka's Run.

 
He appreciated the Kabaka for entrusting him with such task and promised to continue with his support for the cause to change the wellbeing of people.

During the ceremony, one of the beneficiaries of the fistula fight campaign, Catherine Kigozi, 41, narrated that she developed the problem a few months after giving birth.

"I gave birth in December 2011 and developed the problem in March 2012. I went to several referrals but I could not get any help. Later, I went to Kitovu Hospital and was treated freely. I got healed in two months," she noted.

Kigozi said many women fear to come out and remain rotting in silence because of stigma, saying that they need to be helped.

While receiving the dummy cheque, Dr. Florence Nalubega thanked Mengo for the initiative which has so far treated 688 women.

"Many of these women are isolated in their communities, and abandoned by their husbands. Because of stigma, they keep suffering in silence. Today many are smiling because of the Kabaka, Mengo and all those who joined the cause," she added.

Nalubega said there is need for more sensitization about the problem to help many come out and get treatment.

The Kingdom's finance minister, Robert Waggwa Nsibirwa said the Kingdom has raised sh190m towards the fight to date.

Princess Joan Nasolo called on more companies to join the partners to fight the problem.

A total of 20,000 people participated in the Kabaka's birthday run last year.

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles