TOP
Wednesday,September 26,2018 05:16 AM
  • Home
  • West
  • Bundibugyo attackers to appear in court

Bundibugyo attackers to appear in court

By Geoffrey Mutegeki

Added 20th April 2016 04:13 PM

They are charged for the violence that occurred during the recent clashes in Bundibugyo

Aaaaaabig 703x422

UPDF soldiers patrolling the slopes of Mount Rwenzori on the first day of Operation Usalama Rwenzori to root out perpetrators of the violence in the region. Photo by Sunday Rogers

They are charged for the violence that occurred during the recent clashes in Bundibugyo

Thirteen men accused of killing people in Bundibugyo district,will tomorrow on Thursday appear in the High Court to stand trial for the capital offence of murder.

On April 7th the 13 appeared before the Bundibugyo Grade I magistrate Phillip Oji, and were also charged with attempted murder and arson.

They are charged in connection to the violence that occurred during the recent clashes in Bundibugyo district and were remanded to Fort Portal, government prison, Katojo until April 21.

The accused have been identified as Baluku Edson 26, Joshua Matte, Jackson Kabanga, Hamu Muduma and Baluku Edson, 26 all residents of of Nyalulu and are said to have murdered Jane Karungi at Mukudungu village in Bundibugyo district on March 27.

Others are Yosiya  Musungu, 48 hailing from of Bukiisi village, Sulaiti Bwambale 20 a resident of Buhindu, Jackson Kabanga 40, hailing from Buhundu , Mulemera Bwambale hailing from Bukali, Gad Baluku 26, a resident of Mantoroba  who are said to have murdered Arona Atuhaire of Bundimwali on March 23, 2016.

The above are also accused of murdering Night Keith a resident of Nyalulu and committing arson by burning the house of Samson Lwamba.

Court also heard that Morris Muhindo, 15, a resident of Ngamba, Mudumo Hamu, 32, a businessman at Kakuka, and Kule Muduma Noah, 40, also from Ngamba and others still at large on March 24 murdered Robert Nyamayabo.

Muhindo Matte, 27, a crime preventer hailing from Ntandi, Bwambale Mulemera, 38, hailing from Bundimwali, Baluku Gad, 26, hailing from Mantoroba, and Matayo Kule, 30, hailing from of Bundimasoli, and others still at large on March 24, murdered Sam Monday.

During the unrest, several people were attacked and killed on different locations in the areas of Kirumya, Kikalizo, Kanyansiri, Musiki, all in Ntorotoro Sub County in Bughedera County.

Majority of the people that were killed were children and women. The attackers used weapons like spears, arrows, machetes and sticks to kill the people in Bundibugyo.

The unrest has left over 40 people dead and thousands displaced. A total of over 17,000 are still in camps according to the Uganda Red Cross Society.

Sanity has returned to Bundibugyo following the deployment of Uganda People’s Defense Force (UPDF) and the various engagements by various leaders for peace in the region.

Following the deployment of the army and the launch of Operation Usalama Rwenzori, over 150 people have been arrested and detained by police.

Denis Namuwoza, the Rwenzori Regional Police Commander (RPC) revealed that they have sorted and now are remaining with only 50 who will soon be produced in court.

"We have remained with 50. So far for nine of them we have their files ready," Namuwoza said.

He noted that even though some of them were released, they are still being investigated.

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles