TOP
Thursday,November 15,2018 05:03 AM
  • Home
  • National
  • Relatives of exhumed attackers fail to turn up for DNA test

Relatives of exhumed attackers fail to turn up for DNA test

By Vision Reporter

Added 4th August 2015 03:20 PM

It's two weeks since police exhumed bodies of people who were killed during the July 5, 2014 attacks on government installations in Bundibugyo district.

2015 8largeimg204 aug 2015 122420170 703x422

It's two weeks since police exhumed bodies of people who were killed during the July 5, 2014 attacks on government installations in Bundibugyo district.

By Geofrrey Mutegeki Araali

BUNDIBUGYO - It's two weeks since police exhumed bodies of people who were killed during the July 5, 2014 attacks on government installations in Bundibugyo district.

Over 50 bodies were exhumed from a mass grave where they were buried but only four people turned up to claim the bodies.

The four came during the exhumation exercise and were tested and their DNA samples taken to Kampala.

Bakari Mugah, the Rwenzori region police spokesperson, said that police expected relatives to turn up in big numbers to claim their bodies.

“I’m surprised to see that we only have four people since last week. I don’t know why these people are not coming to claim the bodies,” Mugah said.

Police exhumed the bodies which were buried in mass grave opposite Kanyamwirima barracks and took samples for DNA tests to make it easy for people who may come up to claim the bodies.

“DNA testing is free to all those who want to claim their beloved ones. I urge people to go and register at any police station or RDC’s office we shall come and test them,” Mugah said.

The bodies were exhumed and each reburied in a separate grave which was marked and labeled for easy identification in future.

“People should not fear; no one is going to be arrested.  If 10 people register police is ready to send a medical team to take their samples,” Bakari said.

The exhumation exercise was led by Dr Moses Byaruhanga, the director of Police Medical Service.

Over 90 people killed were killed when some youth carried out simultaneous attacks on government installations in the districts of Bundibugyo, Ntoroko and Kasese.

Elias Kateba, the Bundibugyo Resident District Commissioner (RDC) challenged the locals, to come out and claim their loved ones.

“The bodies have been reburied but we want relatives to take them and give them decent burial,” Kateba said.
 

Relatives of exhumed attackers fail to turn up for DNA test

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles