TOP
Thursday,September 19,2019 07:08 AM

Two children die, parents in hospital

By Vision Reporter

Added 2nd October 2007 03:00 AM

TWO children from one family died while their sibling and parents were rushed to hospital in critical condition after inhaling what is suspected to be carbon monoxide gas.

By Herbert Ssempogo

TWO children from one family died while their sibling and parents were rushed to hospital in critical condition after inhaling what is suspected to be carbon monoxide gas.

The tragedy occurred on Sunday in Kironde Zone, Kabowa Parish in Rubaga Division, authorities said.

The area LC1 vice-chairperson, Mary Nabagesera, said the family was organising a birthday party for one of their children.

“They could have prepared the food in the house using a charcoal stove,” she said. According to Nabagesera, the children and their parents could have suffocated when the stove started letting out Carbon monoxide gas. It is poisonous and leads to death.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-irritating gas. It is a product of combustion of organic matter under conditions of restricted oxygen supply.

The dead children were identified as Doreen,8 and Hilda,2.

Nabagesera said a visitor, who was checking on the family in the morning, found the dead children and their drowsy parents.

“The adults were in the seats, but they were weak and could not talk,” Nabagesera added.

Kampala Extra Police spokesman Simeo Nsubuga said the deaths could have been a result of poisoning but could not confirm the poison the family ingested.

Investigations into the incident were ongoing, he said, adding that the bodies of the deceased were taken to the Mulago Hospital mortuary.

The parents and the other child were rushed to Rubaga Hospital for treatment.


Two children die, parents in hospital

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles