THE Ebola outbreak in Bundibugyo has affected the well-being of the Batwa (pygmies), cutting their food supply. The pygmies, numbering 75, said the epidemic had kept away tourists, from whom they got food and money.
In a report sent to the district Ebola taskforce chairman, Jackson Bambalira, the pygmies said their queen had deserted the king, accusing him of failing to provide for her.
Dr. Scott of the World Harvest Mission, who read the report last week, requested the district to help the pygmies.
However, a member of the Ebola taskforce, Samuel Kazinga, said the pygmiesâ€™ request should be re-directed to donors.
â€œI am appealing to well-wishers like the World Food Programme to come to the rescue of these pygmies.â€
Kazinga also revealed that the UN food agency had donated 35 tonnes of maize floor, cooking oil, sugar, peas and soap, to families that had lost breadwinners to Ebola.
He said out of the 132 infected people, 34 had died by the end of last week. He added that only three new cases had been reported since December 16.
Meanwhile, the director general of health services, Dr. Sam Zaramba, last week said the epidemic had been contained.
He said only six people were still admitted at Bundibugyo Hospital and Kikyo Health Centre IV.
The Bundibugyo chief administrative officer, Elias Byamungu, said the Government last week released sh450m to combat the disease.
He added that they had been spending sh40m per week on social mobilisation.
Related reports say the Democratic Republic of Congo has closed its border with Uganda.
The Congolese are let to enter freely into Uganda but are restricted when re-entering Congo.
They are confined in isolation tents for check-up, before being let to move further into Congo.
Ebola hits Batwa