TOP
Tuesday,September 17,2019 22:36 PM

VP lauds Museveni on national budget

By Vision Reporter

Added 10th June 2004 03:00 AM

THE Vice-President, Prof. Gilbert Bukenya, yesterday asked MPs to thank President Yoweri Museveni and finance ministry officials for reducing dependency on donor support to finance the national budget, reports Hamis Kaheru.

THE Vice-President, Prof. Gilbert Bukenya, yesterday asked MPs to thank President Yoweri Museveni and finance ministry officials for reducing dependency on donor support to finance the national budget, reports Hamis Kaheru.
“I am happy that there has been a gradual but steady increase in locally raised revenue to finance our budget,” he said after finance minister Gerald Sendaula presented the budget to MPs.
He said this financial year, the Government would finance 54% of the budget from local revenue, leaving donors to finance 46%.
“This is an improvement from the last year where we locally financed 52% of our budget and an even bigger improvement over a few years ago when our dependence on development partners was about 60%,” he said.
“So please join me in thanking His Excellency the President and the team at the finance ministry for this progressive achievement of economic independence. I can only ask them to do more,” he said.
Bukenya said he was happy that the budget addressed measures to enhance household incomes as a means to fight poverty.
“I am happy that in the coming financial year, sh11b will be availed for micro finance out of sh40b that was mobilised through the African Development Bank
He noted the government would embark on the promotion of agriculture in camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs) especially cotton and upland rice growing to enable IDPs earn.
Bukenya said during the periods when Graduated tax would be suspended, leaders “should embark on raising household incomes to enable households have a sound financial base to pay the tax after the suspension.”
Ends

VP lauds Museveni on national budget

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles