TOP
Thursday,October 24,2019 02:40 AM

Rebels claim Mbarara attack

By Vision Reporter

Added 29th December 2000 03:00 AM

REBELS of the Uganda National Democratic Force yesterday claimed responsibility for the recent bomb attack on Mbarara Makenke barracks that left two dead.

By Kezio Musoke REBELS of the Uganda National Democratic Force yesterday claimed responsibility for the recent bomb attack on Mbarara Makenke barracks that left two dead. Army spokesman Major Phinehas Katirima told The New Vision by telephone that it was still difficult to ascertain who was responsible for the bomb attack. He said the rebels' pronouncement gives an indication that they could be responsible and UPDF would hunt them down. Katirima said the rebels could be remnants of the former NRA renegade Maj Herbert Itongwa. He said the rebels were just causing panic and fear around Mbarara barracks. Katirima said Capt Stephen Ssekyaya, Itongwa's deputy who escaped from the UPDF in a Lira Hospital in September last year, could be responsible since Itongwa is believed to be seeking political asylum in Germany. "We wiped out these Itongwa rebels long time ago while they were still operating from Luweero, but remnants seem to be causing panic," Katirima said. Ends.

Rebels claim Mbarara attack

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles