Church leaders have pledged to follow President Yoweri Museveni’s directive postponing the June 3 Uganda Martyrs Day celebrations at Namugongo over fears surrounding the Ebola outbreak, even as preparations and pilgrimages had already begun across the country.
On Monday (May 18, 2026), the Uganda Episcopal Conference issued a statement urging the faithful to remain calm, prayerful, united and hopeful.
The Anglican Church also issued a statement on Tuesday (May 19) fully supporting the guidance issued by the Government and calling upon all Christians, pilgrims, dioceses and organising committees to cooperate accordingly.
“We encourage all believers who had already begun preparations or travel plans to remain calm, observe all health and safety guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health, and continue praying for the nation and all affected communities.”
At both shrines, preparations had been ongoing to ensure everything was ready before the arrival of pilgrims. Many pilgrims had already set off, while others were on their way to Namugongo.
The suspension comes amid heightened Ebola surveillance and emergency measures in Uganda after authorities confirmed Ebola virus cases linked to Congo.
Catholic Church
In a statement signed by the chairman of the Episcopal Conference and Bishop of Kiyinda-Mityana, Bishop Dr Joseph Anthony Zziwa, on behalf of the Catholic bishops in Uganda, the church called for calm and prayer.
The statement said the witness of the Uganda Martyrs continues to inspire the Church and the nation, reminding people that faith is lived daily through love, sacrifice, truth and fidelity to God.
He added that “may the Martyrs of Uganda intercede for our nation and strengthen us in faith and unity.”
The letter also issued pastoral guidelines to Catholic faithful to ensure the occasion is prayerfully observed.
He said the commemoration of the Uganda Martyrs remains a profound witness of faith, courage, fidelity to Christ and steadfast commitment to Christian values.
“Although the national gathering at Namugongo has been postponed, dioceses and parishes are encouraged to celebrate the day with the guidance of the Diocesan Bishop and the relevant Government authorities,” the statement says.
He added that people should join in prayer for the nation, health workers and all those affected by the circumstances that necessitated the postponement. He also urged the faithful to follow guidelines issued by the Government and the Ministry of Health.
The Church also called upon media institutions to provide adequate coverage of the Ebola pandemic.

According to a statement from Namirembe written by the provincial secretary of the Church of Uganda, Rev. Canon William Ongeng, the Church had taken note of the guidance issued by the President regarding the postponement of the celebrations. (Credit: Juliet Anna Lukwago)
PreparationsThis year, Kasese Diocese had been chosen by the Uganda Episcopal Conference to lead the 2026 Uganda Martyrs Day celebrations at the Catholic Shrine in Namugongo.
The celebrations are organised on a rotational basis according to the four ecclesiastical provinces.
Through the Ecclesiastical Province of Mbarara Archdiocese, the Episcopal Conference selected Kasese Catholic Diocese to animate the Uganda Martyrs Day celebrations under the theme “Christ is alive in you and me.”
The annual event commemorates the 45 Uganda Martyrs, comprising 22 Catholics and 23 Anglicans, who were killed by burning and beheading for their faith on the orders of Kabaka Mwanga of Buganda between 1885 and 1887. Of the total number, 22 were Catholics, while the rest were Protestants.
The 22 Catholic Martyrs were beatified on June 6, 1920, by Pope Benedict XV and canonised on October 18, 1964, by Pope Paul VI.
Apart from the traditional 22 martyrs, Christians also commemorate the martyrdom of Blessed Daudi Okello and Jildo Irwa, catechists in northern Uganda who were killed at Paimol in 1915.
About Kasese DioceseThe Diocese of Kasese is a Roman Catholic diocese in western Uganda established on April 1, 1989, by Pope John Paul II after being separated from Fort Portal Diocese.
Covering the entire Kasese District, with a population of more than 724,726 people, the diocese comprises 15 parishes, including Kasese Cathedral Parish, Nsenyi, Kasanga, Katwe, Kyalhumba, Hima, Ibanda, Bukangara, Kakone and Kitswamba.
Kasese Diocese is bordered by the Democratic Republic of Congo to the west, Mbarara Diocese to the south and Fort Portal Diocese to the east. The area is a multi-ethnic region inhabited by the Bakonzo, Basongora, Banyabindi and Batooro.
Anglican Church
Uganda Christian University had been selected to lead this year’s Anglican Martyrs Day celebrations.
According to a statement from Namirembe written by the provincial secretary of the Church of Uganda, Rev. Canon William Ongeng, the Church had taken note of the guidance issued by the President regarding the postponement of the celebrations.
He explained that following consultations with the Government of Uganda, national epidemic response authorities and religious leaders, the decision was made in the interest of protecting the lives and health of pilgrims and the general public, particularly following the Ebola outbreak reported in parts of neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo.
He added that although the annual gathering remains one of the most significant events on the Christian calendar, the Church recognises the importance of prioritising public safety and preserving life.
Ongeng added that the Church of Uganda fully supports the guidance issued by the Government and calls upon all Christians, pilgrims, dioceses and organising committees to cooperate accordingly.
“We encourage all believers who had already begun preparations or travel plans to remain calm, observe all health and safety guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health, and continue praying for the nation and all affected communities.”
“Church of Uganda would like to sincerely appreciate Uganda Christian University, which had been mandated to organize this year’s Anglican Martyrs Day celebrations at Namugongo. We commend the University leadership, organizing committees, partners, volunteers, and all stakeholders for the tremendous preparations, commitment, and resources that had already been invested towards the successful hosting of this important event,” he said.
He added: “We further wish to assure Christians and pilgrims that the Church of Uganda will continue to await further guidance from Government and health authorities regarding possible alternatives or other appropriate arrangements through which the Uganda Martyrs commemorations may continue in a safe and responsible manner.”
Ongeng noted that the Church of Uganda appreciates the efforts of the Government, health workers, security agencies and all stakeholders working tirelessly to safeguard the nation during this period.
Meanwhile, Namirembe Diocese spokesperson Adams Sadiik said: “We are in internal consultation on how to organise prayers for Martyrs Day irrespective of the postponement. But we are exploring several options, including praying at Diocesan level and a national televised Service on June 3.”