_________________
Six ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) electoral commissioners, led by Fred Jachan Omach, the vice chairperson of the NRM Electoral Commission, are in Kikuube district to oversee the primary elections in which the party will choose its flag bearer for the upcoming Kikuube district chairperson by-election.
The election, which is set to be conducted Thursday, May 21, 2026, will see party supporters choose a flag bearer to represent the NRM in the by-election scheduled for June 18, 2026.
The development follows the death of the incumbent district chairperson, Peter Banura, in a car crash on April 4, 2026. Banura, the son of Maj. Gen. (Rtd) Matayo Kyaligonza was hit by a speeding taxi at Butyamba-Kamusunsi village, Kiziranfumbi town council, along the Hoima-Fort Portal highway.
Five candidates, including Philp Mbabazi Burnett, brother to the late Peter Banura, Paddy Kisembo, businessman Valentine Rubasharaza, former Kikuube district speaker Chris Nkalu, and Dickson Tusabe, were nominated to participate in the NRM elections.
However, Chris Nkalu withdrew his candidature last week for unknown reasons, leaving four candidates in the race.
Speaking to New Vision after appearing on a talk show on Kabalega FM on Wednesday, one of the party's electoral commissioners, Jane Alisemeera Babiiha, said the six commissioners would be deployed in different sub-counties to oversee the election.
She noted that all preparations had been finalised for the primary election and added that voting would be conducted by lining up.
She explained that the exercise began on Wednesday with the updating of the voters’ register to ensure a smooth electoral process and prevent unregistered voters from participating.
Babiiha added that the commission updated 335 registers and said that by 7:00 am on Thursday, the registers and other voting materials would be delivered to polling stations.
She said they expected all voters to be at polling stations by 9:00 am to allow polling officials to read out the names of voters, with voting expected to start at midday, lining up and conclude at 2:00 pm.
Jachan Omach, who represented NRM electoral commission chairperson Dr Tanga Odoi, said voters would be required to present national identity cards with National Identification Numbers appearing in the register before being allowed to vote.
He also warned that no person from outside the district would be allowed to vote, adding that the commission had received information that some candidates were planning to transport non-residents to participate in the elections for personal interests.
He further warned candidates against voter bribery and vote rigging, saying such acts carry serious implications.
Omach promised that the commission would deliver free and fair elections and called upon the people of Kikuube to turn up in large numbers and exercise their voting rights.
“We expect every peaceful election. This is a family affair; we are getting a candidate to represent NRM whom we will present to the Electoral Commission to represent NRM, so there is no need to fight,” he said.
Kikuube resident district commissioner (RDC) Godwin Agalia warned candidates and supporters against engaging in election violence to ensure peaceful elections.
He noted that police and other security agencies had already deployed and vowed that anyone attempting to cause violence would be arrested.
Agalia added that security agencies were also ready to arrest anyone brought in from neighbouring districts such as Kagadi, Kakumiro and Hoima to participate in the elections.
“No self-deployment is allowed; all district police commanders in the region are going to be in Kikuube, and each subcounty will have its commander and deployment of any security officer will be recommended by the command centre,” he said.