________________
Forum for Democratic Change (FDC), Chip Whip Yusuf Nsibambi has officially joined the National Resistance Movement party (NRM).
Mawokota South MP Yusuf Nsibambi, who was defeated in the recent general elections, reveals that he wasn't forced to join the NRM party.
"I am joining NRM willingly, and I am ready to be given any task by the NRM party. I do accept the results from the general elections. I have joined the struggle for peace," Nsibambi said at the NRM offices today ( Wednesday, 18).
Richard Todwong, the NRM secretary general and Speaker of Parliament Anita Among.
On arrival at NRM's head office, Kyadondo Road, Nsibambi, dressed in a yellow shirt (NRM party colour), was received by Richard Todwong, the NRM secretary general and Speaker of Parliament Anita Among, who is also Second Vice Chairperson.
Nsibambi joins a group of Independent candidates that joined the NRM party last week and were welcomed by the second National vice chairperson ( female), Anita Among, Rose Namayanja, the NRM deputy secretary general.
"I have the zeal and strength to work for the NRM," said Nsibambi, who was in the company of Gyaviita Ssemwanga, MP for Buyamba County in Rakai District.
Todwong welcomed Nsibambi and other opposition MPs who have decided to come and work with the party.
This meeting follows another big engagement on Friday, February 6, 2026, when Nsibambi was hosted by President Yoweri Museveni at State House, Entebbe.
In several media interviews, Nsibambi said this was the fourth time he had engaged the Fountain of Honour within the space of a year, with the most recent meetings taking place on January 3 and February 5.
He added that while his previous engagements had involved small delegations, this time the group comprised 17 individuals drawn from across the political spectrum.
Participation, he said, was based on willingness rather than formal consultations with political parties. Prior to this, he said they had consulted with the Electoral Commission (EC), Inter Religious Council of Uganda (IRCU) and Inspector General of Police (IGP) Abbas Byakagaba.
“We consulted widely across the country, mindful that the situation has reached a point where the President has been in power for forty years. Each time we are speaking the same things. People, especially youths whom the President describes as criminals, are in prisons,” he said.

“We think many of them are simply young, energetic, unemployed and without hope. If engaged, they can be calmed down, while Government puts in place measures to ensure they also share in the national cake,” Nsibambi explained early this month.
Release of political prisoners
While sections of the opposition have dismissed the group as self-seekers, Nsibambi said political reality shows that the opposition stands little chance of uprooting a regime that has, in his view, tightened its grip on dissenting voices.
Speaking about the meeting held at State House Entebbe, Nsibambi said the delegation placed particular emphasis on the release of political prisoners, numbering over 1,000, who were arrested during the recently concluded elections.
In response, he said President Museveni indicated he had no objection to the release of suspects who had not yet been charged. However, those already facing court cases would have to wait for the legal process to run its course, after which the President could invoke constitutional pardon or amnesty.
“He said that if we gve the matter prominence, Government would have a responsibility to acknowledge public outcry and release the prisoners,” Nsibambi added.
“But they would first have to seek forgiveness and promise not to engage in riotous acts,” he explained.