________________
The Namutumba deputy Resident District Commissioner (RDC) has rebuked officials over spending shillings 30 million on the construction of a two-classroom block, describing the cost as “exaggerated and unacceptable.”
The RDC's rebuke also included building contractor Kirongo United Investment. The construction of the classroom block is being funded under the development grant aimed at addressing congestion and improving learning conditions.
During a tense meeting, deputy RDC Richard Musana openly criticised the district officials, expressing that they have caused enough frustration during the monitoring and launching exercise at the project site.
The RDC questioned the procurement process and demanded a detailed breakdown of expenditures, including contracts awarded, bills of quantities (BOQ’S) and comprehensive documentation about the project.
“I am not convinced that shillings 30 million was only spent on the construction of a foundation for a two-classroom block, this doesn’t reflect value for money, and taxpayers deserve proper accountability and transparency in the use of public funds,” Musana said.
He said regarding their inability to provide a satisfactory explanation for the utilisation of the funds for the construction of only a two-classroom block foundation at Bubutya Primary School in Bulange sub-county in Namutumba district, the civil servants must ensure that every shilling allocated to education improves service delivery, not just inflated costs.
This happened during a February 19, 2026, meeting attended by parents, principal education officer Fred Kalisengawa, Nicodemus Nkoobe from the engineering department, and LC5 chairperson David Mukisa Kalulu. The meeting was convened to launch the second phase of the two-classroom block construction project.
District officials attending the meeting.
Musana, who demanded value for money, said he wasn’t convinced with the utilisation of the funds, saying the matter is now referred to the Anti-Corruption Unit.
Misplaced documents
"You requested that I launch the second phase, yet you have failed to provide the Bill of Quantities (BQ) documents for this project. It is truly disconcerting," Musana said.
He explained that, according to the Local Government Act (1997) and Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Act (2003) mandate community involvement and transparency in project implementation.
Principal assistant secretary Ali Balimumiti responded that the documents concerning the BOQs were available but had been misplaced in the office of the district engineer.
The disgruntled parents alleged they were left out of various monitoring activities by the district authorities.
Bubutya village LC1 chairperson Wilber Kirya said the construction materials used were substandard and that contractors had disregarded their complaints.
"The technical personnel and contractors earmarked for local services are embezzling government funds. It is unacceptable that shillings 30 million was used to construct such a poor-quality foundation for only two classrooms," Kirya said.
Bulange sub-county LC3 chairperson Ibrahim Musolini expressed dismay that district technical personnel and contractors frequently excluded them from projects and failed to provide BOQ documents, resulting in substandard services.
He summoned Nicodemus Nkoobe from the engineering department to respond to the locals' concerns, where he stated that during the construction process, maximum supervision was conducted, and substandard work was observed.
However, Musana halted further construction and declined to launch the project, insisting it is of poor quality.
He noted that the issue was not opposition to development but concern over financial discipline and the need for quality classrooms by limiting the misuse of government funds, which undermines the public.