________________
The police in Busia district are investigating a fire believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit that destroyed five rooms at Bulumbi Health Centre III in Bulumbi subcounty, Busia district.
The blaze, which broke out on May 13, 2026, at approximately 8:57 am at the facility located in Bubolwa, Bubangu parish, destroyed rooms used as medicine stores and records offices, leaving health services at the facility severely disrupted.
Johnson Moses Mugwe, the regional police public relations officer for Bukedi South Region, said preliminary findings indicate that the fire was likely caused by an electrical short circuit.
Fire and rescue officers from Busia were dispatched to the scene and managed to bring the blaze under control using two delivery hoses, limiting the damage to five rooms in a block of ten and saving the remaining rooms, as well as neighbouring structures.
Among those present at the scene were the facility’s in-charge, Lam Mayende, the chairperson of the facility, Raymond Owino, and Yonah Ocho.

The fire destroyed drugs, medical supplies, office equipment and patient records, affecting service delivery at the health centre, which serves thousands of residents from Busia district and neighbouring areas, including Bugiri, Tororo and Busia Municipality.
Lam Mayende, the clinical officer in-charge of Bulumbi Health Centre III, said he received information from the facility cleaner that the medical store was on fire and immediately contacted the Busia Police fire and rescue services team for intervention.
He noted that there were delays in response because the fire brigade vehicle reportedly developed mechanical problems.
Mayende said the facility is currently constrained in offering health services because most of the drugs were destroyed by the fire, while some of the remaining supplies were affected by smoke.
Jessica Amuge, the officer in-charge of Busia fire and rescue services attached to Busia Central Police Station, also confirmed the incident and said preliminary investigations pointed to an electrical short circuit as the probable cause of the fire.
Patients who had turned up for treatment described the incident as devastating.
Penzi Vivian, one of the patients at the facility, said she had been receiving medication from Bulumbi Health Centre III for years and was shocked to find flames engulfing the drug store on arrival.
Prossy Namatovu, an HIV/AIDS patient, said she had gone to pick up her antiretroviral drugs but found the facility burning. She appealed to the government to intervene, saying many patients cannot afford to travel long distances to access health services.
John Ouma, the Bubolwa B village chairperson, said residents tried to contain the fire using water, but the flames had already engulfed the building.
Raymond Owino, chairperson of the Bulumbi Health Unit Management Committee, said he was shocked by news of the fire and appealed to district authorities to send engineers to assess the damaged block and support renovation works to restore services.
Stephen Mayende Awangale, the district councillor representing Bulumbi subcounty, said the fire outbreak had negatively affected service delivery. He added that he had instructed district health officials to intervene immediately.
Investigations into the full extent of the damage and the exact cause of the fire are still ongoing.