News

City businessman’s sh1.2b recovery bid suffers setback

Justice David Makumbi dismissed Dauda Suuna’s application for want of prosecution after he failed to appear in court to pursue the case.

Dauda Suuna had filed a case against Ronald Kavuma Kato and his father, Ibrahim Mukiibi Lubowa, seeking to recover money he said they had fraudulently obtained from him. (File photo)
By: Edward Anyoli, Journalists @New Vision

________________

The Anti-Corruption Court in Nakasero has dismissed an application by a city businessman seeking to recover sh1.2 billion.

Justice David Makumbi dismissed Dauda Suuna’s application for want of prosecution after he failed to appear in court to pursue the case.

Suuna had filed a case against Ronald Kavuma Kato and his father, Ibrahim Mukiibi Lubowa, seeking to recover money he said they had fraudulently obtained from him.

Last year, the two were convicted by Lawrence Gidudu and sentenced to imprisonment. In addition to their jail terms, the court ordered them to compensate Suuna for the money lost.

However, when the matter came up for hearing on February 18, 2026, Suuna was absent, and no one appeared in court to update the judge on the progress of the recovery process. His failure to appear and explain the status of the compensation prompted the court to dismiss the application.

“This case is therefore dismissed for want of prosecution,” Justice Makumbi ruled.

Prosecution’s case

The prosecution, led by Chief State Attorneys Nelly Asiku and Safina from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, said that Lubowa and Kato fraudulently obtained sh1.2 billion, claiming he would use the money to unfreeze funds in his dfcu Bank account and repay it after the account was unfrozen.

Lubowa claimed that he had been compensated by UNRA for land affected by a road project and intended to use part of the money obtained from Suuna to bribe top government officials to help unfreeze the account. He subsequently obtained sh1.2 billion.

Regarding the charge of obtaining money by false pretence, the court established that between April and July 2018, in Kampala, Lubowa, and Kato obtained sh1.2 billion from Suuna with intent to defraud.

The prosecution said that during the same period in Kampala, Lubowa and Kato conspired to defraud Suuna of sh1.2 billion.

Lubowa allegedly used part of the money to construct a house in Mityana district and to purchase vehicles, including a Toyota Hiace and a Toyota Raum.

The prosecution said Lubowa and Kato administered the sh1.2 billion at various places within Kampala, fully aware that the money was the proceeds of crime.

Kato was convicted of administering sh173 million in his name at Diamond Trust Bank’s Ndeeba branch and used sh90 million to purchase land in Mutundwe, Kampala. He also acquired a Toyota Alphard using part of the sh1.2 billion allegedly obtained from Suuna.

Tags:
Dauda Suuna
Court
Ronald Kavuma Kato
Ibrahim Mukiibi Lubowa