________________
ROME - An Italian toddler who received a faulty heart transplant died on Saturday, in a case that has caused outrage in Italy over alleged medical malpractice.
The two-year-old had received a transplant in December, reportedly with a heart that was damaged during transit by coming into direct contact with dry ice.
Prosecutors are investigating six medical staff.
"It's over. Domenico's gone," the two-year-old's mother, Patrizia Mercolino, told Italian media.
She said a foundation would be opened in his name.
Her son had been on life support for weeks at a hospital in Naples in a case that has made headlines in Italy.
The donor heart was reportedly transported from Bolzano in northern Italy to Naples, 800 kilometres away, in an unsuitable container without a thermometer that could have signalled the excessively low temperature.
Health Minister Orazio Schillaci said in a statement quoted by Italian media that Domenico's case had "moved the whole of Italy".
Schillaci earlier spoke of his concern that organ donations could decrease as a result of the case, and called for "clarity" to ensure continued trust in the country's medical services.