Life Style
Man jailed for phoning, texting his ex 21,807 times
Publish Date: Sep 05, 2014
Man jailed for phoning, texting his ex 21,807 times
The man was given a 10-month sentence and a fine
  • mail
  • img
newvision


LYON - A 33-year-old French man was sent to prison on Thursday after phoning and texting his ex-girlfriend 21,807 times, admitting that, with hindsight, "it was stupid".
 
The unnamed defendant, who had made the calls to demand the woman thank him for fixing up their flat, was given a 10-month sentence – six months of which was suspended – and a fine of 1,000-euro, which is about 3.4 million Ugandan shillings.
 
He will also have to undergo psychiatric treatment and is barred from all contact with the woman he harassed, lawyers in the case told AFP.
 
The defendant, who comes from Rhone in southern France, had already accepted responsibility for the barrage of phone calls and text messages over a 10-month period, and had accepted an earlier demand to cease contact with his ex.
 
He had been hospitalised in the past for depression, and struggled to cope when his girlfriend broke off their relationship in 2011. He demanded compensation for work he had carried out in their apartment.
 
"At the time, my logic was that until she returns the money ... or at least says thank you, I would not stop the calls," he told the court in Lyon.
 
The calls kept coming -- averaging more than 73 per day.
 
"She tried to block her line, but he phoned her parents instead and her workplace," said Manuella Spee, lawyer for the victim, a 32-year-old teacher who was also not named.
 
It was only when she finally said thank you, during a meeting organised by a mediator, that the harassment stopped. He has not contacted her since.
 
"I tell myself, with hindsight, that it was stupid," he told the court on Thursday.
 
He said he wanted to return to school to train to be a legal assistant, and added that he had a "passion for writing".  

AFP
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Woman files for divorce because husband
A Nigerian woman filed for divorce from her husband because his penis was too big, Daily mail has reported....
Tokosa food festival slated for April
Over 25 restaurants, cooking competitions, baking lessons, gas discounts, including entertainment, games for both adults and kids, is what the Tokosa Food Festival will entail, when the gates open at 10:00am, on Sunday 26, April 2015, at Legends Rugby Club....
Namugongo Pilgrimage preparations in high gear
Efforts to refurbish the Uganda Martyrs'' pilgrimage trail in preparation for Pope Francis'' visit, which is estimated to cost sh5b, have been kick started with sh2.5m raised by St. Mary’s Kisubi and Namugongo Martyrs'' Secondary School....
14 percent of ailments are food borne related
A recent pilot study report on the ''National Burden of Food Borne Diseases'' estimates that over 14 percent of all diseases treated annually in Uganda are due to food borne related illnesses...
Already the most pirated show in television history, HBO''s fantasy epic Games of Thrones was hit by a new leak Sunday just hours before the premiere of its hotly-anticipated fifth season....
Qwela-Junction to give fans a touch of jazz
The second season of Qwela-Junction is set to start on April 26 at Kampala Serena Hotel....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter